In De Wildeman 25th Anniversary Farmhouse IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goirish04

Reaction score
Hey All-

I am trying my hand at my first recipe attempt. It is (hopefully) close to the Flying Dog brewed In De Wildeman 25th Anniversary Farmhouse IPA. I was able to taste it on draft at the pub in Amsterdam and it quickly became my favorite IPA.

I researched it (went to youtube) and the brewmaster said it was heavy with citra and centennial hops, made with pale, carapils, munich and rye, and was 7.5% alcohol and 60 IBU. I've also read that it is basically an unfiltered American IPA fermented with a Belgian yeast.

Please take a look at my attempt and comment/critique This is my first recipe attempt, so hopefully it's close. This is a Partial Mash brew.

*I'm also new to beersmith* so I'm trying to get my Equipment properly put in. I use two pots, where I mash in one and then use the other for heating the sparge water. I figure I usually get about a 4.5 gallon boil.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Farmhouse IPA
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 8.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 21.6 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 13.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 18.0 IBUs
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.4 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.4 %
4.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 4 2.7 %
6 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for15 min](8.0 S Dry Extract 7 64.9 %

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 2.90 qt of water at 173.1 F 156.0 F 45 min

Yeast: WLP670 - American Farmhouse Blend

Thank you for your input!!

did you go to beer temple or the arendsnest? i just got back and was digging the farmhouse IPA at Wildeman.

I wasnt there long, so I only got to enjoy it at the bar - but I stopped by the Bierkoening on my way to the airport and picked up 2 bottles of it along with a bunch of Westy 12. It was a good score.

Its even better from the bottle. The yeast shines through.

Resurrecting my own thread. Flying Dog just released this beer in the US. Its called Wildeman and i was able to grab a case yesterday. It is still phenomenal!

I've been working on perfecting something similar to this and would be interested in more info about this beer... I have never seen it in my area.

My farmhouse IPA is 2-row and caramunich with citra and belgian saison (568). Seems this beer is pretty similar.

Back