Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding licorice to a stout or other brew

Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
zappadragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Adding licorice to a stout or other brew

So in talking to my friend at work and telling him about my new Coopers home brew kit he was saying that I should add licorice to a batch of beer to make it taste like jagermeister. He knows I am a fan of jagermeister and it got me to thinking that it was a good idea. Has anyone else tried this? What was your recipe and how did it taste?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
edgeofblade
Recipes 

I usually think of anise or liquorice as a root beer flavor rather than a beer beer flavor. I'm a fan of liquorice and wintergreen flavors, so I'm kinda a root beer nut.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Try some crushed fennel seed in the last few minutes of the boil maybe?

But, I don't think Coopers kits do boils so....

MYTAPDISPLAY.COM
See my Electronic Tap Display Project!
Transparent Brew Panel!
Next: Barleywine.
Fermenting: Blood Orange Hefe, Grapefruit Paradise Lager, a bunch of cider.
Bottled/Kegged: "Pliny The Bro" DIPA, Smoked Pumpkin Porter, 21% "First Born" IIPA, "Summa Cum Lager" American Pilsner, "Pucker Up, Buttercup" Extra-Hard Limeade, Maple-primed Oatmeal Breakfast Stout

Old 06-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I bet anise (star anise?) or ... what's that other spice...I have some in my spice cabinet. It's a seed of some sort but not the above one. Either way, I bet a hint of that would be nice in a stout! It'd probably mortal and pestel it up just a bit to crack it and throw it in dry-hop style, maybe with a tad in at 20 mins remaining on boil actually.

Could be good!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
ryclo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a 20 oz test batch of porter that I tossed in a piece of licorice candy into, it smell great but I have yet to taste it!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2840 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3500

It was actually quite common for licorice to be used in the brewing of Porter. In fact you can order "brewer's licorice" online.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew