Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Thinking about Christmas/Winter Beers

Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
JLW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Thinking about Christmas/Winter Beers

Yeah, I'm probably a little late for some styles of beers especially heavily spiced beers that take a significant age period.

I need to order soon and get a brew day planned in the next week or so.

Here are my ideas:
  • Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
  • Clone of Brekenridge Christmas Ale (last years Christmas beer)
  • Wee Heavy
  • My George Washington Prter Recipe
  • Belgian (Triple or Quad)
  • I really like St. Bernardus Chsitmas Ale but I can't find a recipe.
Thoughts? Other examples? What beers do you guys associate with Christmas/Winter?

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i'm working on a stout recipe myself, working on the hops and yeast choice before work haha. i don't think it's too late.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I'm looking to figure out the best way to do a chocolate mint stout, and when I should brew it. I'm thinking in July.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
JLW
Recipes 

I brewed this double chocolate oatmeal stout in December and I am letting it age until Novemeber/December mainly becuase I'm not in the mood to drink that beer right now.

I would say my stout is ready to drink I sampled at the 2 /3 month age period and it was incredible. So I would think your Mint stout would be ready by then.

I would be curious to see your recipe when finsihed.

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Old 06-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
I'm looking to figure out the best way to do a chocolate mint stout, and when I should brew it. I'm thinking in July.
I did this. IMO the best way to get the flavor for me was "to taste" with a small amount of peppermint extract and peppermint schnapps. Each bring a little bit different flavor. As for chocolate, I will only use chocolate nibs. Cocoa powder is a PITA to clean, doesn't stay in suspension well and generally is a giant mess! YMMV.

I also have a gone horribly wrong spiced ale that was supposed to be like "old feziwig" it has gotten infected with something and is now on its way to being my 1st sour. I am calling it Old Fuzzy Wig. No idea how this is gonna end up. It may be a dumper...

While not beer, I can not think of anything better than Gluhwein or warmed, spiced apfelwein with a splash of brandy and sugar to taste....or the time tested and true egg nog with brandy and nutmeg sprinkled on top...

Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
I brewed this double chocolate oatmeal stout in December and I am letting it age until Novemeber/December mainly becuase I'm not in the mood to drink that beer right now.

I would say my stout is ready to drink I sampled at the 2 /3 month age period and it was incredible. So I would think your Mint stout would be ready by then.

I would be curious to see your recipe when finsihed.
i've posted this on a couple boards now, been tweaking it. someone brought up that this low attenutation yeast may leave too syrupy sweet a mouthfeel, especially with the lactose, so probably going to switch that out (suggestions welcome) and mash at 150.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.9 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.6 %
8.0 oz Black Malt - 2-Row (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.9 %
0.11 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 5.3 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.6 %
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 5.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 13.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -

also throwing in a 1/2 tsp each of allspice and nutmeg at 5min, creating a tincture of cinnamon and vanilla bean with bourbon and tossing that into the secondary after about a month.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I did this. IMO the best way to get the flavor for me was "to taste" with a small amount of peppermint extract and peppermint schnapps. Each bring a little bit different flavor. As for chocolate, I will only use chocolate nibs. Cocoa powder is a PITA to clean, doesn't stay in suspension well and generally is a giant mess! YMMV.

I also have a gone horribly wrong spiced ale that was supposed to be like "old feziwig" it has gotten infected with something and is now on its way to being my 1st sour. I am calling it Old Fuzzy Wig. No idea how this is gonna end up. It may be a dumper...

While not beer, I can not think of anything better than Gluhwein or warmed, spiced apfelwein with a splash of brandy and sugar to taste....or the time tested and true egg nog with brandy and nutmeg sprinkled on top...
Awesome thanks for your insight. For the chocolate I plan on using cacao shells, I have a bean to bar chocolate maker 5min down the street and I know how to get a great chocolate character from the shells (just use about a half pound in a giant "tea bag" after the boil). It comes out nice and fruity/nutty, tastes more like chocolate as an agricultural product than just chocolate in a bar. It takes a little while for the chocolate to settle down into a good flavor, at first it's crazy overpowering.

As far as the mint, I hadn't really thought about Schnapps, that's a good idea. I was thinking it'd be great to use fresh mint but exactly how to do it is a little confusing, maybe make my own mint extract? I suppose then I should just buy a natural mint extract then.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
JLW
Recipes 

What if you took the fresh mint and mashed it like in a mixed drink and then let it soak in the Schanpps? IDK, that may be dumb idea.

I really like this idea of a mint stout though.

@ MrManifesto, your recipe looks really good. It might be the right combination I'm looking for. Spices could be muted just enough by the stout to make it very tasty.

Secondary:

Old 06-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

How about just making a strong tea out of the spearmint leaves? I've got a dark ale just about done with primary that I'm going to secondary with 8 year old bourbon soaked French oak chips. Then bottle it up for September or October. Maybe next month or so I'll make something for thanksgiving & Christmas.
I think I may just do the Midas's gold for Jesus' birthday. That should emulate the things the three wise men gifted him with in a glass.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
How about just making a strong tea out of the spearmint leaves? I've got a dark ale just about done with primary that I'm going to secondary with 8 year old bourbon soaked French oak chips. Then bottle it up for September or October. Maybe next month or so I'll make something for thanksgiving & Christmas.
I think I may just do the Midas's gold for Jesus' birthday. That should emulate the things the three wise men gifted him with in a glass.
Do share the Midas's Gold recipe.

Secondary: