Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding hops for bitterness after fermentation starts?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
mtnsolitude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding hops for bitterness after fermentation starts?

I have a very high gravity beer fermenting right now, but feel like I should have added more hops for bittering to the boil. Its an Porter with a SG of 1.097. Besides dry hopping, which I understand to be for aroma, is it possible to boil additional hops in water and add after fermentation begins for bitterness? Is there any other way to correct this after the fact?
Thanks in advance for any help/tips!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6046 Times on 4309 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

Yes, you could try that. Some told me about using a french press for adding hops flavor but I"m not sure how it works for bittering flavor.

If the beer is too sweet, you could try boil some hops in some water for an hour and seeing if that fixes the issue.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You could try to make a hop tea in a french press. Use boiling water. You'll get some bitterness, not sure how much.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
BeerLogic
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You could try making a hop extract in ethanol. You could soak some hops (high alpha would be most effective) in vodka or other neutral spirit. You will end up extracting compounds besides the bittering acids, but to what extent they will contribute flavors I'm not sure. For the commercially produced stuff they boil off the ethanol from the solution, which will isomerize (some) of the acids. If you go this route you should definitely try a few drops in a sample; it's apt to be brutally bitter, as ethanol extraction is much more effective than boiling.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

french press + hops will add a lot of bitterness post ferment. I once steeped 0.5 oz Centennial in keg and it was noticable.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd say leave it until it's done fermenting, taste it, and then decide whether you need any more bitterness. You can certainly boil hops in water (or a weak ~1.020 wort) to get bitterness, but I'd start with less than you think you need. You can always add more in a couple days if you feel it's not bitter enough, but if you overshoot it you'll just have to wait it out.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
mtnsolitude
Recipes 

Thanks for alot of really good input. I think I may wait it out like suggested and then add if I think its needed at that time. Its a BIG beer so I'll be waiting for awhile yet but I will keep you all posted as to what I end up doing.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Daver77
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How many IBUs ans what style is it?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
mtnsolitude
Recipes 

Hi Daver77...to the best of my calculations, the IBU's is right about 26 and it is a Porter. I don't know alot about determining the IBU's but I used a tool from The Screwy Brewer and came up with 26. Also according to this tool they suggest the IBU's to be around 64. Does that sound about right?

Old 11-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
bking
Recipes 

I have just done the same thing to my beer. I did a partigyle and way overboiled the big beer down to 1.120. I guess i will wait and see how this tastes after fermentation is over and maybe when I rack to clear it, I will possible add a hop tea.