Rhoobarb's Wild Rice Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ ~40oF
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ ~40oF
Rhoobarb's Wild Rice Lager
Recipe c2007 by Mark Pannell

I wanted to do something using wild rice ever since tasting James Page Boundry Waters Lager back when James Page was a good brewery and available in my area. Well, I finally did it and this is the recipe I came up with. This recipe requires a cereal mash, which is explained below.

It tasted a bit 'hot' with alcohol when it was green, but it soon mellowed and has a nice, nutty flavor. It turned out to be one of the better lagers I've ever brewed. I plan to make it an annual beer for summertime drinking and I don't plan to change anything.

Grains:
5 lbs. Pilsener malt(2-L)
4 lbs. Schreier American 2-row pale malt (1.8-L)
2 lbs. Munich malt (6-L)
1.5 bs. Minnesota Wild Rice (2-L)
.25 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine malt (6-L)
.25 lbs. CaraVienne malt (22-L)
.25 lbs. CaraMunich 60 malt (60-L)

Hops:
2.5 oz. Hallertauer [4.8% AAU] (60 min.)
1 oz. Saaz [3.4% AAU] (15 min.)
1 oz. Saaz [3.4% AAU] (0 min.)

Finings:
1 Tsp. Irish Moss (15 min.)

Yeast: WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

Mash Schedule:
Perform the cereal mash by boiling wild rice in 1.5 gallons water until gelatinous (~45 min), stirring constantly. Add to malts and hold at 122oF for 30 mins. Raise mash to 142oF and hold for 30 mins. Raise mash temp to 158oF and hold for 30 mins. Mash out at 168oF for 10 mins. Sprage with 173oF water. Add hops and Irish moss to schedule above. Cool wort to ~68o F and pitch yeast. Add dry hops at secondary. Bottle when beer falls clear. Prime with 1-1/4 cups plain light DME.

Back