IPA recipe thoughts - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > IPA recipe thoughts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
castillo
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Miami, FL
Posts: 137
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



What do you guys think about this IPA recipe I'm going to brew?

3# Maris Otter
1# Rye
.5# Crystal 40L
6.5# Extra Pale LME

1oz. Summit - 20 Mins.
1oz. Amarillo- 20 Mins.
1oz. Cascade-20 Mins.
1oz. Summit - 5 Mins.
1oz. Cascade-0 Mins.

Whitelabs WLP001 Yeast

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Sea's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,478
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Looks ok, but not really an IPA without bittering hops.
__________________
I plan on living forever. So far, so good! - unknown.


Corrupt Brewers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
djsethall
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Olympia, WA
Posts: 3,416
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts


Not enough hop time. My best IPA's have had 90 minute boils. I like the selection of hops you got though. I would go with cascade for 90, summit and amarillo for 60, 1/2 summit and 1/2 cascade for 5 and the other 1/2's at flameout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #4
castillo
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Miami, FL
Posts: 137
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'm going for smooth bitterness with a lot of hop flavor and aroma. Do you think I'll get that with my hop schedule? Although I do like your suggestion djsethall.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
alexmatt86
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
San Diego, California
Posts: 19

Like it was said before, You should add the hops at the start of the boil. What is the AAs on the Summit, 15+?

Just add less than 1oz at 60 minutes if you are concerned about a harsh bitterness.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
gravity84
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Riverside, CA
Posts: 31
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


You should look into First Wort Hopping if you want a smooth bitterness.

Edit:
Oh this is an extract brew, perhaps you can emulate it by putting the hops in with the steeping grains?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
944play
 
944play's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,726
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts


I think you will get enough utilization from 20 minute additions to make a fine ale, assuming a full wort boil. But I do get the impression that Summit is one of those high-alpha American hops that I perceive as harsh, oniony, and catty. I'd bitter with a small amount of something more neutral, if smooth was what I was after, and load the flavor and aroma into the last 5 and dry.
__________________
OD: ?
Pri:-
Keg: Simple AIPA (2-row, Chinook, Cascade, WLP090)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Vance71975
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 817
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by castillo View Post
What do you guys think about this IPA recipe I'm going to brew?

3# Maris Otter
1# Rye
.5# Crystal 40L
6.5# Extra Pale LME

1oz. Summit - 20 Mins.
1oz. Amarillo- 20 Mins.
1oz. Cascade-20 Mins.
1oz. Summit - 5 Mins.
1oz. Cascade-0 Mins.

Whitelabs WLP001 Yeast

Personally the best IPA i ever made was 100% Amarillo hops. Just a though.
__________________
The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
14thstreet
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 407
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


I think that recipe is fine, it's just semantics on what you call it. It will have a smooth bitterness, if much at all, but you aren't loading it with crystal malt either. You'll get a nice punch of flavor though. I once did a single malt ale with 3.5 oz of Amarillo at 15 minutes only and definitely came to grips what Amarillo is as a hop. Mmm! I don't think you'll get much from the rye but then I haven't used it in a PM before and you may have different experience/perception of it.
__________________
Fermenters: Helles, Oktoberfest
Bottled: Old Peculier, Dopplebock, Belgian ale with homemade candi syrup (2 varieties), Berliner weisse
Kegs: Bitter
On Deck: Hefeweizen

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,733
Liked 8011 Times on 5599 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
I think you will get enough utilization from 20 minute additions to make a fine ale, assuming a full wort boil. But I do get the impression that Summit is one of those high-alpha American hops that I perceive as harsh, oniony, and catty. I'd bitter with a small amount of something more neutral, if smooth was what I was after, and load the flavor and aroma into the last 5 and dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet View Post
I think that recipe is fine, it's just semantics on what you call it. It will have a smooth bitterness, if much at all, but you aren't loading it with crystal malt either. You'll get a nice punch of flavor though. I once did a single malt ale with 3.5 oz of Amarillo at 15 minutes only and definitely came to grips what Amarillo is as a hop. Mmm! I don't think you'll get much from the rye but then I haven't used it in a PM before and you may have different experience/perception of it.
I agree- summit can be "oniony" at 20 minutes. I love the amarillo, and the rye. I'd probably not use the maris otter though, unless you have to and it's already crushed. It's too "bready" for a hop-forward IPA in my opinion. I'd use two-row, with maybe a pound of Munich or some victory if you want to provide malt backbone (assuming that's why the MO is in there).
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on this recipe... maffewl Recipes/Ingredients 6 02-24-2011 03:14 AM
ESB Recipe - Thoughts? Bosium Recipes/Ingredients 8 09-05-2010 09:51 AM
APA recipe thoughts bkov Recipes/Ingredients 2 07-12-2010 02:27 AM
thoughts on first AG IPA recipe? bluestreakm3 Recipes/Ingredients 6 02-13-2009 05:07 PM
My first recipe...thoughts? greg75 Recipes/Ingredients 2 11-10-2006 03:38 PM


Forum Jump