Kettle size. Does it matter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
OK. I am green to all of this. Reading as much as I can.

I want to convert and use a Keg as my Kettle. I am planning on brewing 5g propane heated brews and have a Coleman 36Q extreme cooler as my Lauter Tun.

I read yesterday that your size dose matter, but what about the Kettle ?

The keggle size doesn't matter as your boiling in it. It's actually a plus your doing it that way as you can jump up to 10 gallon batches no problem. Go brew somethin! :)

Really, the bigger the better. A standard half barrel keg will be great for 5 and 10gal batches. You can go too big with a kettle, but it seems to me like you'd really have to try. For example: trying to do 5 gal batches in a 55gal kettle would make it really hard to use an immersion chiller.

1 question down, only 5million more :) What would be my best option for a ball valve ? The "weld less" or have have my buddy weld me in one ?

If you buddy will weld one on the cheap I would get it welded, no chance of a leak than.

Yeah and I got all weldless fittings and love them its whatever u want to do the keggle is defently the way to go

Now I am second guessing my 36Q cooler as my Lauter Tun. If I only plan to brew 5Gallon Brews will it be ok ? Trying to keep the start-up cost down, and using what I have on hand if possible.

Have your bud weld in a 1/2" bushing or adapter so you can replace the ball valve if it goes south. Plus you won't be welding the valve itself which could compromise the seat.

redrider736 said:
Now I am second guessing my 36Q cooler as my Lauter Tun. If I only plan to brew 5Gallon Brews will it be ok ? Trying to keep the start-up cost down, and using what I have on hand if possible.

It should work fine for most brews. I wouldn't worry about it.

Have your bud weld in a 1/2" bushing or adapter so you can replace the ball valve if it goes south. Plus you won't be welding the valve itself which could compromise the seat.

How low on the Keg do I need to install the Ball valve. I want to use a False bottom. Dose the Ball valve have to be bellow the False Bottom.

Back