Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wow, that's a violent fermentation
Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Wow, that's a violent fermentation

This weekend I had some friends over to brew a Mulberry Wheat. Mulberries grow wildly on the street around here, in another couple weeks the sidewalks are going to be stained purple. So we decided to go for a complete experimentation to see what we come up with.

Recipe roughly as follows:

4lb 2 row
4lb wheat malt
1lb honey malt
1/2lb dextrine
(mash 157 for an hour)

Celementine peels - 60 min
1oz hallertau - 60 min
1/2oz hallertau - 20 min
1/2oz hallertau - 0 min.

OG= ~1.049
Yeast - White Labl WLP300.
Will puree, strain, and quickly boil maybe a pound of fresh mulberries and add to secondary in a week or so.

Anyways, so I got it all set brewed - the wort tasted pretty good & seemed to be what I was going for - and added the yeast. Usually within a couple hours, there's at least a noticeable pressure build up in the fermentation vessel, but this time, there was nothing. This was disappointing because I like to watch the air lock bubble; it's comforting (yes, Revvy I know that air lock activity is not a sign of fermentation or lack thereof).

I let it sit over night and when I got up in the morning to check on it... holy crap. I've never seen my airlock bubbling so violently. Usually, I'll get a couple bubbles then it'll stop for half a second then bubble again. Quiet, but consistent. This time it was just a constant stream of air. I took off the airlock to put in a blow off tube instead. While doing so I could feel the air streaming out of the hole in the lid.

I've never had that happen before. I'm not really concerned other than maybe I'm fermenting a little too warm, since it's giving off a noticeable banana aroma but I don't really care, besides that seems to be common for the strain.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
struggling author
Liked 3243 Times on 2802 Posts
Likes Given: 2360

Try making mulberry wine too. Great for dessert. Even the jam tastes like a sweet wine. Like to see what it's like in a wheat ale.
My sci-fi & home brewing books on amazon-kindle now! New additions coming!
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle!
My homebrewing book "Tippy Tippy Tappy" on Kindle!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I thought about doing the same. Mulberries rock! Please let us know how it turns out.