Wow, that's a violent fermentation
This weekend I had some friends over to brew a Mulberry Wheat. Mulberries grow wildly on the street around here, in another couple weeks the sidewalks are going to be stained purple. So we decided to go for a complete experimentation to see what we come up with.
Recipe roughly as follows:
4lb 2 row
4lb wheat malt
1lb honey malt
(mash 157 for an hour)
Celementine peels - 60 min
1oz hallertau - 60 min
1/2oz hallertau - 20 min
1/2oz hallertau - 0 min.
Yeast - White Labl WLP300.
Will puree, strain, and quickly boil maybe a pound of fresh mulberries and add to secondary in a week or so.
Anyways, so I got it all set brewed - the wort tasted pretty good & seemed to be what I was going for - and added the yeast. Usually within a couple hours, there's at least a noticeable pressure build up in the fermentation vessel, but this time, there was nothing. This was disappointing because I like to watch the air lock bubble; it's comforting (yes, Revvy I know that air lock activity is not a sign of fermentation or lack thereof).
I let it sit over night and when I got up in the morning to check on it... holy crap. I've never seen my airlock bubbling so violently. Usually, I'll get a couple bubbles then it'll stop for half a second then bubble again. Quiet, but consistent. This time it was just a constant stream of air. I took off the airlock to put in a blow off tube instead. While doing so I could feel the air streaming out of the hole in the lid.
I've never had that happen before. I'm not really concerned other than maybe I'm fermenting a little too warm, since it's giving off a noticeable banana aroma but I don't really care, besides that seems to be common for the strain.