I have been experimenting with some two week straight from concentrate wine. I awoke on day 5 to see some whiteish scuz forming around the neck my bottle. I could really use some help in identifying this scuz, be it apple juice scuz or some nasty bacterium.
Please and thankyou for helpp!
I'm only a beginner at this, but it doesn't look to be wrong. Was the container that you are using cleaned well? What kind of juice did you use, is it 100% juice with no additives in it? Also how is the fermentation going now?
Still bubblin, Cleaned very sterile with bleach, 100% juice, 0 additives... It really caught my eyes as it was almost an overnight form of that scuz, notice that its on the bottle not touching the wine
Looks like yeast. I've noticed a ring form like that when the bubbles cause a bit of spray up the sides of the bottle / carboy, and the yeast then dries on the surface of the fermenter.
I won't say it's impossible for wild stuff to grow in apple juice (it can), but due to the low pH and low nutrient levels it would be very hard to infect. This is precisely why I use apple juice to propagate wild yeasts for brewing, it is a lot more resistant to unwanted bacteria and klyocera type yeast etc. than wort.