How to get a good head on beer - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to get a good head on beer

Old 06-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Tuckahoe
Recipes 

May 2011
Tuckahoe, New York

What can I add to give my home brew more head? Or just a little more body.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7611 Times on 5356 Posts

Generally, head and body are related to ingredients. Grains like crystal malt (including carapils) and flaked wheat or flaked barley can be used as body builders and head retention ingredients. If AG, mash temps play a big role also.

If you post a typical recipe, we can help you tweak it to maximize the head and body.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivenin
Recipes 

Dec 2010
McMinnville, Oregon
Liked 312 Times on 245 Posts

carafoam! heh.

what yooper said, post the recipe
Kegged Heff/saison yeast split
240v - 4500w electric two tier

Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
archiefl98
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Upstate NY
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

General statements I would make would be as follows:

1. A way to get more head is to carbonate to higher volumes. If priming, add a bit more sugar than usual. If kegging, add a bit more gas than usual.

1.a. Better head retention would be a combination of factors including but not limited to, check your fermentation (yeast pitch rate, temperature, etc.), possibly add higher-protein adjuncts if you deem it necessary, ensure your glass is clean when you pour your beer (no detergent residue or the like), pour your beer correctly, if necessary use an etched-bottom glass.

2. More body would normally be attributed to the addition of higher unfermentables in the beer. Some add Malto-Dextrin to add mouthfeel and the like. If brewing all grain, try brewing in a slightly higher temperature range to create a slightly less-fermentable wort (with a higher FG) or even try using a lower-attenuating yeast strain.

Then again, I don't know if any of that really matters. I've just had good luck with getting awesome head retention on my beers.

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers
Kegged: Many beers
Next Brews: More beers than you could imagine