Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Making liqueurs?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
RobWalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't use "Super Yeast" from your LHBS or anything of the suchlike - all I've heard is bad things, flavor wise. I'm fermenting a fruit cocktail "liquor" now using Gervin GV4 (which is a wine yeast,) - I've made it before, and because there's syrup in the recipe itself, it definitely comes out a little sticky! Might be something to consider. Can't speak for distillers yeast, no idea.

As for mixing vodka with fruit, they do this as a hobby in...Holland I think? I completely forget what it's called, but if anybody can find out what they call it, there's a site out there with a tonne of recipes on. To infuse, make sure you leave it in the dark, and for a couple of months - it'll lose the color otherwise. Gah, that's gonna bug me now.

Oh and, to reduce any sort of crappy flavors and get a purer liquor taste, there are some things you can do. Degassing is one, and have a read through this - although it's for beer, the information is pretty transferrable. The less of these off flavors you have, the purer your "liquor" will taste!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
davefleck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Make a huge yeast starter, it pitch on a yeast cake. Don't start with a huge OG. Let it ferment then gradually step it up with extract it boiled down wort. At each addition hit it with O2 so it doesn't stall.