Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Hydrometer reading(FG)=1.010 Brix=7.1%???
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
ANewrBrewr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 71
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Hydrometer reading(FG)=1.010 Brix=7.1%???

I've got a batch of IPA that has been in the primary for 2 weeks and the current hydrometer reading is 1.010 yet using a refractometer the brix % is 7.1. I've looked up a few different equivalency charts for brix->specific gravity and my readings do not match up??? I've also heard that brix readings are not accurate after fermentation has ended. Is this what is going on? I would much rather use my refractometer to do readings as it is much easier for me to read and use, but if a hydrometer is the way to go then I guess I'll conform.
Just wanting to here some feedback from the experienced brewers.
Cheers.


ANewrBrewr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #2
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 7,886
Liked 1065 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Stick with the hydrometer. In brewing refractometers are great for monitoring the decline in extract as sparging proceeds but they really aren't good for much else.


ajdelange is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
JimGossett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 28
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewrBrewr View Post
I've got a batch of IPA that has been in the primary for 2 weeks and the current hydrometer reading is 1.010 yet using a refractometer the brix % is 7.1. I've looked up a few different equivalency charts for brix->specific gravity and my readings do not match up??? I've also heard that brix readings are not accurate after fermentation has ended. Is this what is going on? I would much rather use my refractometer to do readings as it is much easier for me to read and use, but if a hydrometer is the way to go then I guess I'll conform.
Just wanting to here some feedback from the experienced brewers.
Cheers.
Alcohol contributes to a Brix reading, yet is not sugar. Alcohol negatively affects SG, because alcohol is less dense than water. So, after fermentation begins, a Brix reading will over-estimate remaining extract and a hydrometer reading will underestimate remaining extract.
JimGossett is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Ma23456
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 385
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

The ethanol will affect your brix reading because of its polarity so it messes with the light hydrometer all the way
Ma23456 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
JimGossett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 28
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma23456 View Post
The ethanol will affect your brix reading because of its polarity so it messes with the light hydrometer all the way
Not sure what you mean by "messes with the light." There are methods for measuring ethanol in water that rely on refractometry. In fact below about 20% ABW, there is a quite linear response between ethanol and apparent Brix in water. The nature of refractometry is that it is based on things "messing with light."
JimGossett is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,643
Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Stick with the hydrometer. In brewing refractometers are great for monitoring the decline in extract as sparging proceeds but they really aren't good for much else.
Actually, they are also very good for determining when fermentation is complete for those people who feel the need to take gravity samples on a daily basis. When the Brix stops dropping, fermentation is complete. Then, you can take a single gravity reading to find out what the FG really is, leaving you with a lot more beer to drink than if you had taken multiple hydrometer samples.

-a.
__________________
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
ajf is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 793
Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

If the IPA original gravity was 1.057 then 7.1% Brix and 1.010 final gravity make sense with the ProMash refractometer calculator.
DSmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
iaefebs
Registered User
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Coast, MI
Posts: 2,663
Liked 244 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Default

Post is 10 mo old. I doubt OP needs an answer now. DSmith had the right answer though.


iaefebs is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brix to Specific Grav confusion christoph200071 Brew Science 3 06-06-2011 01:02 PM
Help reading water report cms Brew Science 1 03-08-2011 08:31 PM
hydrometer reading: change. batty Brew Science 9 01-11-2011 04:43 AM
Hydrometer, correct use Jungle Brew Science 31 10-10-2010 12:28 PM
Take your OG reading before adding yeast... why? billc68 Brew Science 6 05-27-2010 01:30 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS