Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I'm mashing now

Old 03-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6019 Times on 4290 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

Default I'm mashing now

I just had a thought. Remember that old commercial from the 70s where a woman said, "I'm cleaning my oven while I sleep"? Well, mashing is a piece of cake, isn't it. The mash does all the work. I'm mashing while I surf the net.

One question- what do you use for thermometers? I have three, and don't like any of them. My floating one doesn't seem to be terribly accurate, and the other ones don't float. I was thinking about getting a digital one with a probe, but I wondered how that worked.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 36 Posts

I picked up a digital probe at Wal Mart for ~ $15. It's got a silicon-wrapped cord and seems to be water proof. I like it the best out of the 4 types I've tried so far (dial, floating, digital, digital probe).

If you get one with the braided cord, then water proof it with some silicon tubing like someone on here recommended. Otherwise it won't work right when it gets wet.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
I picked up a digital probe at Wal Mart for ~ $15. It's got a silicon-wrapped cord and seems to be water proof. I like it the best out of the 4 types I've tried so far (dial, floating, digital, digital probe).

If you get one with the braided cord, then water proof it with some silicon tubing like someone on here recommended. Otherwise it won't work right when it gets wet.

What is the "silicon tubing" that you mentioned? I never heard of that. And where do you put it?

Old 03-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Here is what I did...

Here it is, spent alot of time in a quandry over just how to do this simply and efficiently. What you see here is a 10 gallon tun, in which I drilled a 1" hole with a hole saw. I purchased some #5 1/2 SOLID stoppers, drilled them with a 3/16" drill (just so I could squeak the probe through) The stopper is installed on the inside so that water pressure only makes the seal stronger. Tested today with 10 gallons of head pressure and no sign of any leaks. $10 per tun baby.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

Old 03-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 36 Posts

I think they were talking about something like this. It's airline tubing for aquariums. You would put this over the braid and secure it to the probe so no water can get to the braid. Hopefully someone will chime in that's done it. I think the easiest solution is to get one that's already waterproof, though.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

That's really clever. I don't have a hole saw, but I'm sure I could borrow one. Sounds like a project to add to my list!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

It is simple, reliable and fool proof... I bought a 9 piece hole saw set at Harbor Freight Tools for $2...

Old 03-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Been there, done that when it comes to thermometers. I've got a floater, two turkey fryer dial-type, two digital probe thermometers and a pocket-style digital probe thermometer, which is my most accurate. The problem is, they are all thermistor style thermometers, which aren't very accurate and take forever to register. Fine for doing a roast in the oven or the grill and you need know when a piece of meat is near 155oF, but lousy for quickly knowing if your mash is 149oF or 151oF!

So, I'm getting a Thermopen in the next few weeks. It's a thermocouple unit, which is quick to respond and extremely accurate.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use a glass laboratory thermometer. Its a bit fragile though, but dead on accurate.

It's lasted through 20+ batches so far though. Of course now that I said that it's going to break on my next brew.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1299 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yup, I did the trick with the silicone tubing. It works well for throwing the probe anywhere you want it like in the center of the mash in a rectangular cooler. You just need the tubing and some aquarium grade silicone sealant.