Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Rice Recipe-- opinions please
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Gengis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 34
Default Rice Recipe-- opinions please

Hi all,

I am attempting to brew a rice beer, which would showcase the following features:
- Full-body (ideally without adding Maltodextrin)
- prominent hopps profile, perhaps less than an IPA
- brown or amber color
- strong taste, not too starchy, not too sweet, not too weird!
- notes of roasted grain, without actually using any gluten-containing grain. In essence, a beer that would not be like sake!

I was thinking of using unmalted sushi rice, lots of roasted brown rice, brown rice syrup, clarifying agents

My questions:
- Is there a recipe out there?
- What kind of hopps would you use?
- Which powdered gluten-free yeast would you use?
- Would I need Nigari or alcaline salts (I'm affraid of an acidic end-result)?
- Should I roast some Whole rice (in an attempt to improve head retention?)

Looking forward to your opinions,
Cheers



Gengis is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 1,172
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

What are you going to be using the sushi rice for? And what are your expected amounts of all three rice items? In general quantities if you don't have a recipe.

If you look at the rice syrup recipes out here, you can get some ideas. I think that many said they were pretty light in color and body, but I can't recall offhand.


KevinM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Gengis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 34
Default

I'm going for 50-70% BRS, maybe 20-30% toasted rice (for color and flavor) and 10% sushi rice in order to obtain a purer 'rice taste'. Is the unmodified sushi rice too much, in the sense that it will add much haze without providing much? I could also try to mash it with added enzymes; I don't know if BRS has any residual enzymes that could also help in this process.
Gengis is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
I'm going for 50-70% BRS, maybe 20-30% toasted rice (for color and flavor) and 10% sushi rice in order to obtain a purer 'rice taste'. Is the unmodified sushi rice too much, in the sense that it will add much haze without providing much? I could also try to mash it with added enzymes; I don't know if BRS has any residual enzymes that could also help in this process.
It is interesting you bring up Sake...since Sake does not use enzymes in its production...you have got me thinking good sir...

In any case, what kind of sushi rice are we talking? Just short grain or something like Koji rice?

BRS (or any extract for that matter) are devoid of enzymes since they have been boiled down to syrup.
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Gengis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 34
Default

DKershner:
To my knowledge, Sake is made with enzymes (alpha-amylase and glucoamylase) derived from a type of Aspergillus. But you're right; they don't use rice malts at all. But I don't want Sake !

I was thinking of using short grain sushi rice and red (or brown) rice for roasting. I will do different batches are compare wort tastes (as I did with different types of quinoa)

Given your extensive experience and knowledge in this field, could you give me your input on the questions in my first post? Thanks!
Gengis is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 1,172
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/mal...g-rice-249318/
Some of us were discussing enzymes that sake uses and using it to convert other grains. Specifically, using the sake process (or most of it) for sorghum and other grains.

I'd probably start off with a BRS beer with the roasted rice to try to give it flavor. I do like the idea there, but I think it'll contribute quiet a bit of starch.
KevinM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'd probably start off with a BRS beer with the roasted rice to try to give it flavor. I do like the idea there, but I think it'll contribute quiet a bit of starch.
+1 to this.
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
My questions:
- Is there a recipe out there?
- What kind of hopps would you use?
- Which powdered gluten-free yeast would you use?
- Would I need Nigari or alcaline salts (I'm affraid of an acidic end-result)?
- Should I roast some Whole rice (in an attempt to improve head retention?)
- I have a recipe for a 100% Rice beer, but its a blonde, not a Pale Ale/IPA. Its...uh...http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/blonde-takeover/
- You will need to clarify exactly what you are looking for hops wise. Specifically, bitterness level, hop flavor level, and hop aroma level. Then, do you want grassy, earthy hops or citrusy, vibrant hops? I can help you after you answer those questions.
- Since you will have additional starch, use a great attenuator, S-05. Stay away from maltodextrin.
- Salt to beer has been done, Coors light does it I think. In any case, I wouldn't recommend it. If you end up with something you think tastes acidic, try a malolactic fermentation. It will at least soften the blow some. I dont think this will be the case, however.
- I am unsure roasting rice will help head retention in any way. But hey, it might. Head retention is a funny business.
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Default

I might add on the yeast question that depending how much starch you add in, as in a low amount, you could also use S-04 for a sweeter, fuller body.
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
Gengis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
- I have a recipe for a 100% Rice beer, but its a blonde, not a Pale Ale/IPA. Its...uh...http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/blonde-takeover/
- You will need to clarify exactly what you are looking for hops wise. Specifically, bitterness level, hop flavor level, and hop aroma level. Then, do you want grassy, earthy hops or citrusy, vibrant hops? I can help you after you answer those questions.
- Since you will have additional starch, use a great attenuator, S-05. Stay away from maltodextrin.
- Salt to beer has been done, Coors light does it I think. In any case, I wouldn't recommend it. If you end up with something you think tastes acidic, try a malolactic fermentation. It will at least soften the blow some. I dont think this will be the case, however.
- I am unsure roasting rice will help head retention in any way. But hey, it might. Head retention is a funny business.
Great info, thanks!
I was aiming for assertive bitterness, with notes of citrus/floral, not too exotic. Perhaps Cascade or Chinook or Fuggles?
Why not maltodextrin? Rice beers are usually quite thin and watery, no?


Gengis is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brown Rice IPA BBBF Gluten Free Brewing 3 06-06-2011 05:49 PM
Black Rice cstarner Gluten Free Brewing 6 03-09-2011 07:42 PM
Advice on recipe required - Rice malt and Sorghum malt spaced Gluten Free Brewing 32 03-03-2011 08:27 PM
Jasmine rice Noontime Gluten Free Brewing 3 06-23-2010 04:41 PM
All Rice Recipe bassmosphere Gluten Free Brewing 20 06-22-2010 12:27 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS