Pitched Dry Yeast Slurry Before It Cooled.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
So I used dry yeast yesterday for only the second time in my short brewing career and its been over a year since I did. Boiled some water and then let the water cool to about 110 before stirring in the two packets of US05. Let it set for about 15 minutes and got creamy like it was supposed to but in my forgetfulness I pitched the slurry right in without cooling it anymore. I'm guessing it was probably around 100 F. I'm guessing that I will be fine and will possibly just have a longer lag time but wondering what else might go wrong. Thanks for the help.

Eek 110F is a little hot for yeast, you might have killed a few of them. If you are rehydrating yeast I've heard that about 90F is where you want to be.

Also are you saying you pitched the slurry into 100F wort? That's also too warm. You want the wort below 70F before you pitch.

In all likelihood you WILL make beer, it just might have off flavors because the warm temps stress the yeast and cause them to produce off flavors.

Next time just be patient and let the liquid cool some more before tossing the yeast in.

The water/yeast was at 100F but the wort was at 65-70F? The amount of yeast/water to wort is so small that the resulting temp was at your wort temps. Only concer I'd have (at all... and I wouldn't worry about this either) is that the 30 degree difference 'shocked' your yeast a bit.

If I'm not mistaken How To Brew gives a range of 100-110 to rehydrate yeast. I may be wrong though SS I read it in a hurry.

The thermal shock of the yeast is what I was most worried about.

This is why I contend that liquid yeast is so much easier.

Edit, I just double checked and John Palmer says 95-105 so I was off a little. I guess worse case I make beer.

Ya, your worst worries are having a fruity beer. If you like the flavor of belgian beers, then you will love it!

Latest posts

Back