Seems like everyone is going to have to make some type of modification to the KAB 4 or 6. Some it will be the height of the burner (4.25"). Some it will be the size of the cooking surface. Yet others will have both problems. So im going to try and fix what I can and shed some light for anyone who wants it
I have a banjo burner from NB that is being used in another system
This burner worked great at 4" from the burner with a flat bottom pot. The brackets are to make the cook surface bigger. Once we switched over to the keggle the flame was not as effective. Since the keggle has a domed bottom there was too much heat loss. (I hear others have a height problem too!) Our solution was to turn one of the brackets around to allow the lip of the keggle to sit into the void. Now the bottom the the keggle is about 2" from the burner. Heat then runs up the rounded bottom and raises temp. much faster. Ive never timed it but we have never had to wait on boiling water.
Today I received my KAB4. (Amazon 80.00 free shipping) In my case, the cost of buying the burners, regulators and hose plus building material for the stand, and time to build it, Just makes sense to modify these.
First Mod: Raise the burner. The Four legs are 1/2" round stock bent in a rectangle, welded to the thick wind screen in three places, The top and bottom are on one side, the middle is on the other. I used a dremel with a flexible handle attachment. (used two big metal cutting blades to cut four legs) An angle grinder (small as possible) may work but it will be tough to control.
Watch: One of the legs was welded at the seam of the wind shield. Be careful not to cut that seam or you will have to re-weld it to hold the burner.
Next is to set the legs to the desired height and weld them back to the wind shield. Depending on what you are trying to get out of your cooker that may work fine.
My next mod will turn the legs we just cut off into just a connector between the larger cooking surface and the new frame. It will be a very simple square metal frame made from angle steel with 4- 1 1/2" square tube legs. The legs on the wind shield will allow me to weld it onto the stand I build.
To attach my legs I will use Steel cable clamps
The bottom piece can be flipped and with the proper series of drilling holes the burner height will be adjustable.
Ill work that up tonight and hopefully have it done tomorrow afternoon... check back soon