Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Fermentation chamber: Chest freezer or Build off of a mini fridge?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
detz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation chamber: Chest freezer or Build off of a mini fridge?

The chest freezer is around $250 while I can get a mini fridge for around $120. Material to build the chamber around the fridge might run another $50 so it's cheaper and I would build it to fit everything correctly so it seems to be the better option but I'm worried I wont be able to lower the temps in the summer with just the little fridge. Thoughts?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
ryclo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

have you looked at a used freezer on craigslist?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Bucks-04
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you might be underestimating the mini fridge chamber. If you plan on making it bigger you defitnally exceed $50. Plywood, insulation, if you plan to frame it then the cost of 2x4's, caulk, screws, hinges, and a temp controller. I prob missed a few minor things but still it all adds up.

The chest freezer is already big enough so no need to do anything but buy a temp controller around $70 maybe even less. If cost is an issue craigslist for a used chest freezer. That is what I suggest.

It is nice to build your own though.

Also to build you need tools so another thing to add to the list.

Best of luck

Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

My chiller is just a box made out of 2" foam board, glued together, and attached to a 4cf mini fridge (that has the door removed).

I made the box big enough for three better bottles. It works GREAT, I have 13 gallons of light Hefe fermenting in it now.

Craig's List is a good source for cheap fridges, and now that colleges are out, now is the time to find them.

VegasBrew1 Likes This 
Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
VegasBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 575

That is simplicity to the ultimate. I already have a mini fridge. I know it gets hot in TN, just wondering if my situation would work. I live in Vegas, trying to make plans for summer brewing. Want to ferment at 62F, ambient temp would be around 87 (but extremely dry heat). You think your setup would work for me? Thanks in advance, cheers.