NO Carbonation and Taste like water HELP! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NO Carbonation and Taste like water HELP!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
mjkopp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
esko, mn
Posts: 23


Well im new to site and im still learning how to use it. Also im new to brewing beer and pop. So here we go.
Grains- 12 oz caramel 10,4 oz chocolate = 25 min 155-160 temp.
Then I added 6lbs munich malt took that up to a boil
Hops= 2 oz crysta pellet and 1 oz nugget hops ( nuggets are from the back yard)
boil time 50 min.
Hops = 1 oz Hallertau and .5 oz nugget hop ( back yard ) 5-7 min
cooled down to 78 or so put it in the bucket added as much air as i could and put the yeast on top and sealed.
The airlock bubbled for two days and on the third I put it into a carboy and let it sit for 3 days. My friend said i could bottle at that time. so i did. I primed the sugar, bottled, and let them sit for 7 days. but the temp was around 58-62f kind cold..I tried one and it was FLAT and kinda tasted like water( alittle). Not sure what to do now any insite would help? Thanks for reading my post Jamie
oops I did take a reading on the first day ( I can't figure out how to read it) it said 5% and on the 3rd 8% and the 6th= 8%??
thanks Jamie

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,875
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts


Munich malt or malt extract?
__________________
http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com - Brewin' and 'Quein' since last Tuesday.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
El Pistolero
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,585
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Seven days at 60F isn't long enough to carbonate...move the bottles to somewhere nearer to 70F and let them sit for another week or two.
__________________
[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
jjward101
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Swarthmore, pa
Posts: 144
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


1. neither the airlock, or a set amount of time determine when you are done fermentation. Use a hydrometer, a hydrometer, and a hydrometer. Even after the airlock stops bubbling, the yeast continue to clean up after themselves. MOST people leave their beer in primary for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better.

2. I didn't see where you used any top off water...are you doing full boils?

3. Carbonating your beer in the bottles will take no less than 2 weeks. Most will tell you that 3 weeks after bottling makes it perfect.

Good beer takes time. You may only have 3 to 7 hours involved in turning grains and water into a drinkable beer, but for those yeasties it is a full time 24 hour per day job. If you rush the process, nothing good will happen; you will become discouraged and likely quit brewing out of frustration. Remember, there is a chain of chemical and molecular reactions happening inside your bucket. Beer making is a science....not a magic trick.

I suggest trying your first few brews using pre-made extract kites (brewers best, northern brewer, austin homebrew, etc...) Even if you intend on being an all grain brewer, you should do this. Brewing is all about processes. The quicker you learn the basics of the brewing process, the quicker you will be making good beer.

Good Luck!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
JetSmooth
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,875
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts


I really think he added and boiled malt grains and not extract.
__________________
http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com - Brewin' and 'Quein' since last Tuesday.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
jjward101
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Swarthmore, pa
Posts: 144
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
I really think he added and boiled malt grains and not extract.
you are probably right, but with the small amount of info he provided, who knows? if he boiled the grains though, the tannins would make that the nastiest thing in the world to drink!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #7
mjkopp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
esko, mn
Posts: 23

Thanks for all the replys.
I only steeped the crushed/grains and then removed them from the pot. I did use a malt extract and having NO patience got the best of me!!! sorry for such a bad post I'll try to be more detailed next time. Do you all think I will can still drink the beer or will I get sick? Thanks again Jamie

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
mjkopp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
esko, mn
Posts: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjward101 View Post
1. neither the airlock, or a set amount of time determine when you are done fermentation. Use a hydrometer, a hydrometer, and a hydrometer. Even after the airlock stops bubbling, the yeast continue to clean up after themselves. MOST people leave their beer in primary for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better.

2. I didn't see where you used any top off water...are you doing full boils?

3. Carbonating your beer in the bottles will take no less than 2 weeks. Most will tell you that 3 weeks after bottling makes it perfect.

Good beer takes time. You may only have 3 to 7 hours involved in turning grains and water into a drinkable beer, but for those yeasties it is a full time 24 hour per day job. If you rush the process, nothing good will happen; you will become discouraged and likely quit brewing out of frustration. Remember, there is a chain of chemical and molecular reactions happening inside your bucket. Beer making is a science....not a magic trick.

I suggest trying your first few brews using pre-made extract kites (brewers best, northern brewer, austin homebrew, etc...) Even if you intend on being an all grain brewer, you should do this. Brewing is all about processes. The quicker you learn the basics of the brewing process, the quicker you will be making good beer.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your relpy! I did a boil of about 3.5 gal I'm sure that I didn't let it ferment long enough oops!! I have a batch in the bucket right now and I will let go for 10+ day this time. This batch it stoped bubbling after 2.5 day's is that normal? I was also wondering if it would be safe to dring my first batch?? thanks again Jamie

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
Mongrel
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Sisters, Oregon
Posts: 1,745
Liked 238 Times on 149 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkopp View Post
Thanks for your relpy! I did a boil of about 3.5 gal I'm sure that I didn't let it ferment long enough oops!! I have a batch in the bucket right now and I will let go for 10+ day this time. This batch it stoped bubbling after 2.5 day's is that normal? I was also wondering if it would be safe to dring my first batch?? thanks again Jamie
Give this batch 3 weeks in primary, then 3 in the bottle, and yeah, it can pretty much ferment out in a couple days. It's not done though. Give it time.

Yes, your first batch is safe to drink, but won't be great or even good, but it won't kill you unless a bottle explodes and cuts you in the wrong spot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Posts: 13,361
Liked 3424 Times on 2445 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
it won't kill you unless a bottle explodes and cuts you in the wrong spot.
Without a confirmation from a hydrometer that fermentation had fully finished, I'd be worried about bottle bombs having bottled a beer in less than a week (granted, I've had plenty of beers fully ferment out in less than a week). I'd recommend sticking them somewhere safe for the full 3 weeks carbonation, and handle them with caution.
__________________
Souring: '14 Brett C Old Ale, '15 Lambic, '14 Lambic, '14 Flemish Red, '15 Flemish Pale, '15 Oud Bruin, '15 Session Kriek
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bière de Garde

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building water profiles from distilled water, dummy questions JBrady General Beer Discussion 23 01-16-2015 10:44 PM
Hard water ever effect the taste of your finished beer? Meatball358 General Beer Discussion 14 09-03-2010 12:23 AM
Hows my water look? dont really understand the water report ekjohns General Beer Discussion 3 03-30-2010 06:52 PM
Backpacking water filter for brew water? Talloak General Beer Discussion 10 05-26-2009 11:14 PM
Blonde Ale - great taste, very little carbonation 98EXL General Beer Discussion 9 06-27-2007 06:55 PM


Forum Jump