What do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
I've been given a 5-gal glass carboy and am curious what I need to use it for secondary fermentation/racking. I use a Coopers fermenter with a spigot and would like to transfer the brew to this carboy for a couple weeks and then back to my fermentor with priming solution and use the spigot for bottling.

I know I need to fill from the bottom up so I suspect I need a siphon of some sort? What about capping the carboy to keep undesirables out? Would saran wrap held on with a rubber band be enough or do I need something with an airlock?

Sorry for the basic questions, only been doing this a couple months.

Thanks!

You need some food grade tubing and a drilled bung. Both are easily abtained at a local home brew shop or online.

You need some food grade tubing and a drilled bung. Both are easily abtained at a local home brew shop or online.

Oops and also an airlock, if you don't have one. You're looking at a $6 or 7 investment on this one.

This.

I also have the Cooper's fermenter (It's AWESOME, right!?!). The bottrling wand that came with the Cooper kit, I cut off about 3" of it, and got food-grade tubing that fit on it perfectly. Then I just popped that assembly on the spigot, and rack from counter to floor that way.

Since, however, I have purchased an Ale Pail bottling bucket, and a nicer bottling wand. And an auto siphon. But the setup you're talking about works perfectly fine. :)

eBay has the carboy caps for short money... under $5 shipped.
ebay carboy cap
...as well as airlocks. I prefer the s-type like that came with the cooper's kit.
ebay airlock

It's probably overkill, but I always seal the cap onto the carboy with a few turns of electrical tape. (pictured here in my first cider batch... 6.5 gal carboys from LHBS)

180873_10150413944210078_509340077_17548720_6019903_n.jpg

Thanks guys, and yes the Coopers fermenter is awesome! I know what I need now, just have to get this carboy sanitized as its had coins stored in it for a few years :D

Just found out this carboy is an antique, not sure how old, but old nevertheless. It's had coins stored in it for a number of years. I have it full with boiling bleach water sanitizing at the moment.
I wanted to ask if anyone thinks its not a good idea to use it in my brewing. I know bacteria are some sneaky bastards, but I dont see any scratches on the inside of the bottle.
Now that I know it's old I'm kind of excited to use something that was used for wine making or even brewing 50 or even 75 years ago. However I dont want to jack up a brew just from being nostalgic.

Am I missing something? Why did you cut the cooper's bottling wand to use tubing to make it fit the spigot? It pushes up into the spigot on the cooper's micro brew fermenter. I made a bottling/secondary bucket with a spigot that'll take a length of 3/8" tubing,& a Fermtech bottling wand. I now have two bottling set ups.
And as long as there are no small scratches in the carboy,it should be fine after cleaning. Not just sanitized. PBW is the best for this. & that company that makes the carboy cleaner you chuck in a drill looks to make it easier.

Back