Using Chocolate Extract - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using Chocolate Extract

Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Butterball
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Salem, Oregon

My first all grain batch (oak butt brown ale) is in the primary and I would like to give it a slight chocolate flavor. Is cocoa powder a good alternative to add to secondary? If so, how much should I add to not overdo it? Also thinking a small amount of vanilla extract. Obviously I'm experimenting but when I tasted the batch out of primary it seemed to be lacking some body/flavor.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Apr 2011
St. Thomas, Ontario
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

There was cocoa in the boil in my chocolate oatmeal stout and the recipe called for some added to secondary, too. Just get some NON-FAT cocoa with no preservatives. Search the forums for quantities.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
TopherM21
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Broomfield, Colorado

I'm a huge fan of cacao nibs in secondary!
I've used both powder and nibs and found better flavor from the later.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
jkatz419
Recipes 

May 2011
Studio City, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Vanilla extract is powerful stuff and the aromatics might be driven off by the active fermentation if added to the primary. It's best to add extracts at bottling time. Pull off a small sample, maybe a 1/2 gallon, and dose it with vanilla (keeping track of how much you add) until it tastes good. Then figure out how much to add to your whole batch.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Butterball
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Salem, Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenest
For Vanilla extracts, you have to be very very careful about the quantity. I have ruined it many times
I used 2 oz. I hope it wasn't too much.