Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > IPA secondary questions

Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Firebat138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default IPA secondary questions

Ok, we brewed a batch of standard IPA on the 1st of May. Racked to secondary 10 days later and dry hopped... Being the newb, I thought I would just let this one sit in the carboy thinking it would get better or smoother, but then someone told me the dry hopping would just go away... Never knew that... So should we just keg it and drink it? Afte r we keg it and after getting the co2 in there, is it better to let sit in the keg for a while? Does it get better? Thanx all...

Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So you have been dry hopping since the 11th of May? Grassy/vegetable flavors can occur from too long of a dry hop, and you are definitely in danger of being too long.

People say that the hop aroma fades over time, but for me my beers don't last too long so I don't worry about it. I think your main concern is going to be too long of a dry hop.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have let some of my IPA's dry hop for 14 days. Yes, the hoppiness of the beer will mellow with age and IPA's should be consumed fresh. However, after bottling or kegging it still needs to condition for a few weeks.

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
rdharris55
Recipes 

Also a newb...but with 6 all grain 5 gallon batches behind me. I dry hopped an IPA, let it sit for another week and then cold crashed for 4-5 days. Most of the hops fell out with the trub. I force carbed and drank some right away and it was fine. However, two weeks later it was really good.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Firebat138
Recipes 

ok... so the OPTIMAL thing to do, is keg the beer. Then set the CO2 and DONT drink for 14 days...? I guess I could just keep it in my kegerator and NOT hook up the keg?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
nefarious_1_
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I first started dry hopping, I used to let it go 14 days but soon began to notice a grassy, green taste in some of my beer (not "green" beer, but a chlorophyl type taste) so I never go any longer than 10 days anymore.

I've heard some people claim there's no point going longer than 7 days because most hops oils diffuse during the first 3 or 4 days, but I've never dry hopped for such a short period so I can't speak from personal experience.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
nefarious_1_
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebat138 View Post
ok... so the OPTIMAL thing to do, is keg the beer. Then set the CO2 and DONT drink for 14 days...? I guess I could just keep it in my kegerator and NOT hook up the keg?
Maybe start drinking sooner than this, although I've also heard cold temperatures slow the oil diffusion process. I don't keg so I'll stop now...

Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebat138 View Post
If you force carb it then there is no reason you can't drink it right away. If you do a slower carb and let cabinate over a couple of weeks you may want to wait a week and then try it.

I think it will hit it's peak in two weeks or so. I usually can;t wait that long before I sampel a few.

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
Firebat138
Recipes 

we are going from carboy to keg, adding the gas and putting in fridge and then drinking 2 days later... should we at least wait a week?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think you are getting confused with people saying how long they dry hop for and how long they keg for. AFAIK people leave their beer in the keg just to condition. Your beer has been conditioning for a month in a carboy already, so presumably it should be good as soon it is cooled and carbed.

Take a taste though, I think you have gone a very long time with the dry hops in the carboy, and could be getting some off flavors from it.