Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Rectangular Fermenter
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #21
JLo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN, Minnesota
Posts: 96
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I've also found this 7 gallon container. http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Aqua-.../dp/B000KA2LNY

It's on sale at our local Fleet Farm for $8.99


JLo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #22
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,288
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
I've also found this 7 gallon container. http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Aqua-.../dp/B000KA2LNY

It's on sale at our local Fleet Farm for $8.99
I've been using those as fermenters for quite some time now, they work just fine so no need to worry. I just drill out the air inlet for a blow off tube and call it a day. If you're tight on space and cannot fit an airlock then just leaving the cap a little loose will work just fine.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #23
scotched
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 323
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Glad you were able to make it fit JLO.

Are those aqua-tainers made of a rigid material, or does it "flex" in the flat areas when you set it on the ground/pick it up. That seems like an awesome deal.
__________________
Goonie's tube|soundcloud|
-
Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada
scotched is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #24
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,288
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotched View Post
Glad you were able to make it fit JLO.

Are those aqua-tainers made of a rigid material, or does it "flex" in the flat areas when you set it on the ground/pick it up. That seems like an awesome deal.
When full they flex a bit, they are not as rigid or as thick as a bucket. I'd say they flex about as much as a better bottle.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #25
scotched
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 323
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I decided to pick one of these up today (instead of the 7gal aqua-tainer):



I'm not sure how well this will work, given the shape. But it's worth a try.
__________________
Goonie's tube|soundcloud|
-
Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada
scotched is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #26
JLo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN, Minnesota
Posts: 96
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

So far I'm not loving the Vittle Vites container. Here are some of the key areas:
1. It does not flex as much as much as the AquaTainer - good thing
2. It is shorter and provides enough room for a multi-piece air lock - good thing
3. Requires permanent modification to lit to use as fermenter with airlock. - neutral
4. When full is ackward to carry - bad as I almost dropped it a couple of times
5. Lots of little cracks in the lid area. - very bad and hard to clean.
6. Lubricant required on O-Ring, I'm using Keg Lube - neutral
7. Easy to tape thermal probe to corner of fermenter - good

Overall I'm going to try using the AquaTainer for fermenting and use the VittleVites for grain storage. Even though this container met the dimensions I was looking for the wort trapped between the lid and container is freaking me out.
JLo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #27
scotched
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 323
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Personally I'd rather apply a semi-permanent layer of silicone sealant on the O ring, than deal with the keg lube every time.

Are you getting krausen seeping through the lid? How do you know you're not getting a good seal?
__________________
Goonie's tube|soundcloud|
-
Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada
scotched is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #28
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
emjay's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,712
Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLo
So far I'm not loving the Vittle Vites container. Here are some of the key areas:
1. It does not flex as much as much as the AquaTainer - good thing
2. It is shorter and provides enough room for a multi-piece air lock - good thing
3. Requires permanent modification to lit to use as fermenter with airlock. - neutral
4. When full is ackward to carry - bad as I almost dropped it a couple of times
5. Lots of little cracks in the lid area. - very bad and hard to clean.
6. Lubricant required on O-Ring, I'm using Keg Lube - neutral
7. Easy to tape thermal probe to corner of fermenter - good

Overall I'm going to try using the AquaTainer for fermenting and use the VittleVites for grain storage. Even though this container met the dimensions I was looking for the wort trapped between the lid and container is freaking me out.
I wouldn't ferment in one either, but at least you didn't waste that money. Vittles Vaults and Gamma Seal Lids (the same lid, but sold for use with standard 12-inch diameter buckets) are the absolute best grain-storage solution available, bar none.
emjay is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
JLo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN, Minnesota
Posts: 96
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I did get a good seal on the Gamma Lid, but instead of oxygenating I shook the container to aerate and that deposited a layer of wort between the threads, it's probably sanitary but just weird for me.
JLo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #30
jkarp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,106
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
So far I'm not loving the Vittle Vites container. Here are some of the key areas:
1. It does not flex as much as much as the AquaTainer - good thing
2. It is shorter and provides enough room for a multi-piece air lock - good thing
3. Requires permanent modification to lit to use as fermenter with airlock. - neutral
4. When full is ackward to carry - bad as I almost dropped it a couple of times
5. Lots of little cracks in the lid area. - very bad and hard to clean.
6. Lubricant required on O-Ring, I'm using Keg Lube - neutral
7. Easy to tape thermal probe to corner of fermenter - good
So, in reality, your only complaint is the lid is hard to clean? Toss it in the dishwasher.


__________________
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.
jkarp is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rectangular false bottom? rcrabb22 Equipment/Sanitation 7 10-31-2011 03:18 PM
What are the disavdantages to using a rectangular cooler for a MLT? fuzzybee Equipment/Sanitation 13 03-17-2010 10:03 PM
Rectangular cooler for MLT?? xcap Equipment/Sanitation 1 04-08-2009 07:00 PM
How do I Build a False Bottom for Rectangular MLT? KMOX Equipment/Sanitation 5 08-10-2008 10:44 PM
Rubbermaid 10 Gal. or 48 Quart Rectangular MLT? BREW N QUE Equipment/Sanitation 11 12-05-2007 03:17 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS