Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Octoberfest with no mash out
Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Octoberfest with no mash out

I just brewed my second all grain batch. It was a five gallon batch of Octoberfest. I used a double decoction mash method and the fly sparged with 170 degree water. I use a 5 gallon cooler as a mash/ lauer tun. I did not mash out. It took me about an hour to sparge (fly sparge). Am I in for a very dry and not very malty Obtoberfest?
Also, how is this going to affect my wort viscosity and how does the viscosity afeect the final product? Thanks.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I think I may have mashed out two or three beers in the few years I've been brewing. I don't have a problem with any of my non-mashout beers being too thin <unless a very dry beer was my intention>. Whether your beer will be dry or not will probably have more to do with your mash procedure than the absence of a mashout.
The lower viscosity that you get during a mashout is due to the higher temps only. I.E. - temporary. IME, your overall wort viscosity is no different at fermentation temps whether you mash out or not. So, there should be no affect to the final beer.