Pints for Prostates - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Pints for Prostates

Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4846 Times on 3265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Given your sig, I would think you'd of found out by now

He's invisible...how would they know he was even there?
By that feeling that someone was "watching". And the noise that sort of sounds like "fwap".

Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
GatorDad

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Brandon, Florida
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

getting back on topic....

To be clear: A PSA test doesn't mean you won't need surgery. It could very well lead to that, but, surgery is not the only option. It depends, and only you and your doctor can decide the best course of action. For me, surgery (twice) was the only option - my age and extent of cancer demanded it. I had the daVinci procedure.

Have your PSA checked once a year starting at age 40. It provides you with critical information (PSA Velocity) that can't be derived any other way. There are recent publications decrying the use of PSA tests and PSA Velocity. It is important to note that these (bean counter) critics are claiming that this can lead to unnecessary biopsies - NOT that this test fails at detecting cancer. For example:

"If prostate biopsy is based on PSA velocity alone, the number of unnecessary biopsies would be almost four times the number of additional cancers diagnosed, data from a large clinical trial showed."

I'd sure like to know who funds these "studies". Bet a six-pack it's the insurance industry. In the last three years of this ordeal, I've never spoken with any health care professional that calls this stuff "unnecessary" testing. Bunk.

No doctor worth seeing will order a biopsy based on one metric. That's just silly, but, PSA Velocity taken into account with other tests (PSA, Free PSA, etc) can lead to a prostate biopsy. It's prudent medicine. In my case, I went through three months of various testing before my first biopsy. I'll admit - a prostate biopsy is no walk in the park. The biopsy came back that I was T1c (upper limit of stage 1). After surgery they always send out the organ removed for pathology. Those test, which are definitive, came back that I was actually T2c - the next step up that ladder is metastasizing. I was in much worse shape than any test detected.

A PSA test is not perfect, and certainly not the end-all test for prostate cancer, but it is an important indicator. If it leads to a prostate biopsy that you don't need - be thankful you don't have cancer instead of worrying about "unnecessary testing".

Pints for Prostates. Please support them.