Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Which yeast for an all-brett beer?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Which yeast for an all-brett beer?

I've made a couple of simple beers with Brett-B (WLP650), and had some great results. Very fruity, with a hint of farmhouse. They taste really great, similar to Saisons, or Farmhouse Ales. I'm hooked.

Has anyone used Brett-A or Brett-B, and can provide a comparison to Brett-B as a primary yeast. I'm going to keep using this yeast, but if there is more promise from one of the other Brett yeasts, I might give it a try too.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

brux as a primary yeast it will basically be the same profile as a secondary yeast, although it will be less funky and more fruity when young, given enough time it will get funkier though

I really like WY Brett Lambicus as a solo yeast, you do need a pinch of acid to really make the flavors pop but that can be added with some acid malt or citric acid at bottling/kegging time. It has a great fruity cherry-like nose and a very distinctive taste, definitely makes a nice beer. I tend to like a tad maltier wort with brett L, really let the yeast shine and keep the hops minimal, I think you'd like that one a lot

Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks, I've been using a half lb of acid malt in a batch to help the yeast.

I'm still waiting on the Brett-B in secondary to see how it does. I'm assuming it will be a lot more funkier. It's currently at 7 months, and got a nice pellicle.

Might try Brett-L next. Would like to see what other's experience is with different Brett yeasts..

Old 06-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I am also a big fan of WY Brett Lambicus. I also agree that it goes well with a more malt driven beer. That doesn't mean you can't goes crazy with it though. I currently have a beer that is fermenting with brett. l. along with some elderberries and rhubarb.