Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Allagash Curieux Clone

Old 06-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #121
jabergess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I had to make some mead first and then when I finally got done with that and started my mash tun warming up I ran out of propane!!
I knew I should have gotten those other three propane bottles filled earlier...
Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow morning. The grain is milled and the yeast is more than ready.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #122
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Sweet!
Carboy 3: Air
Better Bottle: Banana Wine (Will Sparkle in time)
Growlers: 1 Gallon of Wild Yeast Culture!
Keg 1: Cream Ale (left tap)
Keg 2: IPA (right tap)
Keg 3: Cider
Keg 4: Air
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine, Chianti

In the Works: Kate the Great Clone

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

Old 06-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #123
jabergess
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So far so good! I ended up mashing out at 151. Slightly higher than the 149 you recommended, but I can live with it. Wort is a beautiful light yellow color. I'm waiting on it to get down to temperature so I can pitch the yeast. I'm going to try for an initial starting temperature on the fermentation above 70. Probably around 74. It's a little higher than the WLP550 yeast range, but I've read things that still say that's fine. The Wyeast Ardennes yeast can certainly handle it. I was a little below the 1.08 on the hydrometer - 1.078.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #124
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

You can boil and add sugar half way through fermentation! You can get the rest of the gravity that way or ex light dme.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #125
Rehlgood
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just cracked a bottle after 1 week of carbing. Wow! This brew is gonna be dangerous. Thanks for the recipe and all the help. Maybe some of this will last until new years.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #126
Rehlgood
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-355220423.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	66120

After two weeks in the bottle. A quick chill in an ice bath to bring it to serving temp. Bourbon is settling into the background and the oak is starting to shine through. Delicious!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #127
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Very well done!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #128
jabergess
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Looks wonderful! Mine is still in primary. My samples are quite delicious! I didn't add any additional sugar, but my FG reading so far is 1.004! Right now it tastes like a Saison, with a peppery finish. That should smooth out over time I would imagine and the bourbon will knock that out too.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #129
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am contemplating this recipe right now. Interested in having something that ages well.

A couple questions (I scanned through all pages of this thread, but it's possible I simply missed some details)... why the two yeasts? I typically buy Wyeast smack packs and build up starters as needed. I'd have to build up a large starter given then OG on this, but that's fine. I got time.

I'm looking at Northern Brewer's site now to see how the cubes are sold. Thinking American Medium Plus oak cubes. The packs come in either 2 or 8 oz packages. They seem to suggest 2.5-3 oz for a 5 gal batch, but you guys calculated a lot more, yes? Also, should I consider putting some bourbon soaked cubes in the primary, and the rest in the secondary, so it's on the cubes the whole time?

I don't keg. I have one 5 gal better bottle that I tend to use for secondary/dry-hopping. How long have folks needed in the primary, in the secondary? and what temp should I keep the secondary? what temp are you all aging it at?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #130
stevehollx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlin View Post
I am contemplating this recipe right now. Interested in having something that ages well.

A couple questions (I scanned through all pages of this thread, but it's possible I simply missed some details)... why the two yeasts? I typically buy Wyeast smack packs and build up starters as needed. I'd have to build up a large starter given then OG on this, but that's fine. I got time.

I'm looking at Northern Brewer's site now to see how the cubes are sold. Thinking American Medium Plus oak cubes. The packs come in either 2 or 8 oz packages. They seem to suggest 2.5-3 oz for a 5 gal batch, but you guys calculated a lot more, yes? Also, should I consider putting some bourbon soaked cubes in the primary, and the rest in the secondary, so it's on the cubes the whole time?

I don't keg. I have one 5 gal better bottle that I tend to use for secondary/dry-hopping. How long have folks needed in the primary, in the secondary? and what temp should I keep the secondary? what temp are you all aging it at?
You can build a starter, and WLP1762 will do. I've done a couple ounces of oak chips for 2 weeks, and 3 oz medium toast oak for 3 months. Something in the middle is what you want. I'd recommend 2 oz french medium toast oak for 2 months. Soak the cubes in bourbon for a week before adding.

I'd recommend racking onto the oak at secondary. I always primary for a month to give the yeast cake a chance to clean the beer up.

Secondary temperature shouldn't matter much. I don't temp control my secondaries. So they are somewhere around 75-80.