Beer Smith DME selection question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Smith DME selection question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Brewsncrabs
 
Brewsncrabs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 374
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts



I am making a Northern Brewer Oktoberfest extract kit. It contains Briess pilsen light DME. I am entering this recipe into Beer Smith for future use and this pilsen light DME is not listed as an ingredient to select. Does anyone know what this item would be listed as in Beer Smith? Maybe extra light dry extract?
__________________
Crabs and beer were meant for each other!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
jsweet
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Rochester, NY
Posts: 810
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts


In that situation, I would typically just select "Light Dry Malt Extract". If you want to record that it was Pilsen specifically, you should be able to just add a new ingredient type.

I also think there are ingredient packs and stuff, but I haven't messed around with them.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,312
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts


Just download and add the "Briess Malting" add on from this page and you'll be fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
JJL
 
JJL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
, WI
Posts: 1,287
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts


I've got this one lagering right now. Hoping to have it ready to drink by the end of august.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Brewsncrabs
 
Brewsncrabs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 374
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Just download and add the "Briess Malting" add on from this page and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the tip. You are awesome! I didn't know all of those addons were available. I just got the software and havent really looked at everything.
__________________
Crabs and beer were meant for each other!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Brewsncrabs
 
Brewsncrabs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 374
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
I've got this one lagering right now. Hoping to have it ready to drink by the end of august.
Let me know how it turns out. I brewed a kit from my LHBS today and am doing the NB kit on Sunday. It had more grains and different LME and hops than the LHBS kit so I wanted to try and compare. Should be ready for the fall crabbing parties.
__________________
Crabs and beer were meant for each other!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
k2zr2
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Windsor, CT
Posts: 42
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


You also have the ability to "Add Ingredients" to Beersmith fyi.

I added Maple Syrup for a brewing experiment I had. I also have added fruit and other additives as I needed them.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,312
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsncrabs View Post
Thanks for the tip. You are awesome! I didn't know all of those addons were available. I just got the software and havent really looked at everything.
And just in case you didn't know, the new version comes out tomorrow. You'll want to sign up for your free upgrade here if you purchased on or after Feb. 15th. In the new version the "add-on's" can be added from directly within the program.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
JJL
 
JJL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
, WI
Posts: 1,287
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsncrabs View Post
Let me know how it turns out. I brewed a kit from my LHBS today and am doing the NB kit on Sunday. It had more grains and different LME and hops than the LHBS kit so I wanted to try and compare. Should be ready for the fall crabbing parties.
I started mine a month or so ago. It's just dumb luck that I started it at the right time to be ready for fall.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Brewsncrabs
 
Brewsncrabs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 374
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
And just in case you didn't know, the new version comes out tomorrow. You'll want to sign up for your free upgrade here if you purchased on or after Feb. 15th. In the new version the "add-on's" can be added from directly within the program.
Yep, already have the activation codes for the upgrade. Cant wait to play with it.
__________________
Crabs and beer were meant for each other!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Beer selection in Missouri or Midwest MizzouBrewer General Beer Discussion 31 03-01-2011 09:30 PM
Wedding beer selection. Why ask anywhere else? bob_boblaw General Beer Discussion 12 08-13-2010 04:21 PM
Help round out my beer selection Lodovico General Beer Discussion 3 11-16-2009 07:23 PM
beer smith, carbonation killian General Beer Discussion 5 06-27-2009 02:47 PM
Help order & rate the beer selection for my Tasting Party! Stevorino General Beer Discussion 29 07-14-2008 01:35 AM


Forum Jump