Helles Bock MY Bock (Americanized Maibock)- Extract - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > Helles Bock MY Bock (Americanized Maibock)- Extract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
laiced
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
laiced's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
Posts: 91
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I REALLY want to brew this recipe, Yoop, but I have no way of lagering at this point.....I guess I will put on the wish-list.
__________________
ShoeTree Brewery
Planning -
Bottled - Belgian Strong Bourbon Rye Wine, Experimental Gruit, SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's), Citra Pale Ale
Kegged - SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
McGarnigle
 
McGarnigle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
NYS
Posts: 1,960
Liked 75 Times on 65 Posts


I'm looking for a proven Bock recipe as well, but am mainly just posting to say how, as of the moment I write this, Yooper's recent change of avatar seems unfair to Deuce.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
rycov
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
conway SC., South Carolina
Posts: 1,941
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts


yeah. plus how'd they get that guys face on my body?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk00k View Post
I'm getting ingredients in the mail today, and I can't even taste my beer yet. What should I do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,994
Liked 8148 Times on 5682 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
I'm looking for a proven Bock recipe as well, but am mainly just posting to say how, as of the moment I write this, Yooper's recent change of avatar seems unfair to Deuce.
I change it all the time. Maybe next time it will be a famous hockey player. Or just plain old me in a dominatrix outfit. You never can tell!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Posts: 152
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Dumb question - how large is a "large starter"? All I have is a 1L flask.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,994
Liked 8148 Times on 5682 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBrewmistress View Post
Dumb question - how large is a "large starter"? All I have is a 1L flask.
I think about 3L or so would do it, but consult mrmalty.com's pitching calculator to get the correct amount.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #17
zeg
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
West Lafayette, IN
Posts: 1,216
Liked 134 Times on 114 Posts


Sorry to re-zombify this old thread, but I'm planning to give this recipe a shot. I'm probably going to PM-ify it, so it'll be somewhere between the extract and AG versions you've posted. (I'll probably also swap out hops).

One question for you. The recipe header in the first post shows 38 IBU, while in the AG post you say you adjusted to aim for 25. When I punch your extract recipe into my brewing calculator, it predicts about 27 IBU. The question is: is the 38 IBU in the header a typo, or did you really decide to up the IBUs?

(The follow-up question if you did go up to 38 IBU is, of course, why am I only getting 27 out of my software? It's predicting the OG as 1.067, which is pretty much a match. The color is coming out as 9, but I think that's because the color contribution of the toasted malt is not very accurate, so I'm not really worried about that.)

Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,994
Liked 8148 Times on 5682 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Sorry to re-zombify this old thread, but I'm planning to give this recipe a shot. I'm probably going to PM-ify it, so it'll be somewhere between the extract and AG versions you've posted. (I'll probably also swap out hops).

One question for you. The recipe header in the first post shows 38 IBU, while in the AG post you say you adjusted to aim for 25. When I punch your extract recipe into my brewing calculator, it predicts about 27 IBU. The question is: is the 38 IBU in the header a typo, or did you really decide to up the IBUs?

(The follow-up question if you did go up to 38 IBU is, of course, why am I only getting 27 out of my software? It's predicting the OG as 1.067, which is pretty much a match. The color is coming out as 9, but I think that's because the color contribution of the toasted malt is not very accurate, so I'm not really worried about that.)

Thanks!
In the recipes that I've done most recently, it's about 25-27 IBus.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
zeg
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
West Lafayette, IN
Posts: 1,216
Liked 134 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
In the recipes that I've done most recently, it's about 25-27 IBus.
Great, thanks for clarifying.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
Yirg
Recipes 
 
Sep 2013
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


How was the resulting beer? Does it resemble any specific commercial Doppelbock?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helles Bock "Hellofa Beer" - Bock Maibock/Hellesbock dlester Homebrew Lager Recipes 17 06-11-2015 02:17 PM
Helles Bock "Hellofa Beer" - Bock Maibock/Hellesbock dlester Homebrew Lager Recipes 1 11-14-2012 11:55 PM
Helles Bock Not your Bock Maibock bbarr21 Homebrew Lager Recipes 2 01-13-2012 12:20 PM
Belgian Candi Sugar to Maibock / Helles Bock ? ultravista General Beer Discussion 11 11-04-2011 05:22 AM
Aging a Maibock/Helles Bock, the EndGame... xinunix Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 0 01-17-2010 02:27 AM


Forum Jump