Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Stove Top Pasteurizing for Mead

Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
GAJay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stove Top Pasteurizing for Mead

I saw a sticky post in the Cider forum about pasteurizing cider on a stove which allows you to back-sweeten/carbonate with fermentable sugars and not get bottle bombs. I was wondering if anyone has tried or if this can be done this with mead. I'm not sure if it will produce some negative qualities in the mead? I have a batch of mead I'd like to back sweeten and carbonate but I'm not fond of the idea of using non-fermentable sugars to sweeten...

Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJay View Post
I saw a sticky post in the Cider forum about pasteurizing cider on a stove which allows you to back-sweeten/carbonate with fermentable sugars and not get bottle bombs. I was wondering if anyone has tried or if this can be done this with mead. I'm not sure if it will produce some negative qualities in the mead? I have a batch of mead I'd like to back sweeten and carbonate but I'm not fond of the idea of using non-fermentable sugars to sweeten...
I crash cool and double filter with a 1 micron filter to remove the yeast. I would think heating it would be very detrimental to the flavor, I never use heat with my honey other than using some 130*F water to dissolve the honey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 06-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, heating will definitely blow off a lot of the nice volatile compounds from the honey.

Chemical stabilization would be another effective route, that has no appreciable effect on taste; potassium sorbate and potassium- or sodium-metabisulphite (Campden tablets) in conjunction will knock out fermentation, though unfortunately I don't know the dosing off hand.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccann51 View Post
...potassium sorbate and potassium- or sodium-metabisulphite (Campden tablets) in conjunction will knock out fermentation, though unfortunately I don't know the dosing off hand.
I rack on to 1 teaspoon of potassium sorbate and 1 crushed campden tablet per 3 gallons of mead once it has hit FG (~ .998) and has fallen clear. If I plan on back sweetening it I'll do it at the same time. A Mix-Stir works great to mix it up gently. Cheers!!!