Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you tip a bartender when filling a growler?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #81
Mongrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewit2it View Post
People who don't tip aren't standing on some higher moral ground, they're cheap bastards looking for a way to rationalize their cheapness and not feel guilty about it.
I think it comes down to people who have never worked a service job. Everyone I know, myself included, who ever served a drink, cooked on the line, waited on or bussed a table, or stripped tip like ****ing champs.

Anytime I find an establishment that's willing to 86 a customer who treats their staff like ****, I'll be back. Food might be garbage, but if you keep the douches out, you've probably got a fun place to hang out, and that counts for a lot.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #82
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Consensus seems to be tip at least $1 for a growler, got it.

But how about at a sporting event when you order a beer from a beer cart or the "snack bar."

You are paying $8+ for a BMC crappy beer, do you still tip?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #83
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

THe people saying I need to tip for ****ty service are people who do crappy at their jobs and need some sort of justification for it.

See what I did there?

If you don't like working at a job that depends on tips, I recommend you look into a different line of work. Particularly if you can't do a simple job and provide good service. Smile, do your job, and stfu.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #84
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3 View Post
THe people saying I need to tip for ****ty service are people who do crappy at their jobs and need some sort of justification for it.

See what I did there?

If you don't like working at a job that depends on tips, I recommend you look into a different line of work. Particularly if you can't do a simple job and provide good service. Smile, do your job, and stfu.
You should read "Fight Club" and hope you don't get the Maggie Thatcher treatment.
bad coffee Likes This 
Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #85
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I just have to mention this because it made me chuckle... One of the good beer restaurants tweeted today that they sold a growler of Miller Lite. Their growlers ain't cheap either. I wonder if they got tipped for that one?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #86
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

@EDB23: Thank you for expressing so well what many of us in the Service Industry feel. Some waiters I work with want many tables and to be very busy. I prefer to have a few table and offer superior service where I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut off. After 5 years waiting tables I have recognized that tips are far better with fewer tables where you can offer excellent service.

Lesson to others who have not waited tables. LOOK AROUND THE RESTAURANT. If your server is slammed and barely keeping there head above water, cut them some slack. It's probably not the situation they want to be in either.

@ JD3. I'll give you the most recent complaint I had from a customer. 2 life flight helicopters had to land outside our hotel for a rollover crash. Customer was upset that she was woken up at 6am because of the helicopter noise and wanted 50% off her room. I wish I could say this is a uncommon thing.

Customers suck! If you are ever curious why your service was great the answer is the tip.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #87
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

@boy.... while the customer was complaining, I was drenched in sweat, covered in mud, pulling that dumb ass from the car(who was probably drunk in the first place) and ended up shredding my back. At the end of the day, you prob made more money than me, too.

And that was the person that actually needed an ambulance. In the same 24 hour shift I prob went on 15 morons who didn't in any way need a truck, but I can't say that and I can't be a dick just because I think that.

I don't see any soldiers in here complaining about their pay... the average waiter takes home about the same as the average infantryman.

Everyone has crappy jobs. If your medic or nurse or doctor took out their bad day on you and provided crappy patient care, you'd flip out and go ballistic. If you want a tip, do your job. That doesn't mean that **** doesn't happen, i've said it a million times.

We all chose to do our jobs. No one makes you go to work. Hell, you could be on parole and they won't make you go to work. Conscious choice. If you don't want to do it, don't.

If you do your job well, you'll be rewarded. You can't make every customer happy, but if you don't bother trying, you won't be happy either.

Simple as this: go to work, do your job(and as a server, that means put a friggin smile on your face and treat your customers right) and in the end you will earn your paycheck(tips). No one gets paid with expectation that they do a half-assed job. If you do, you won't last long at any job.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #88
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1223 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3 View Post
If you seriously want to cry to me about how hard being a server is, I suggest you come to grips with reality. When you grow up and get a big boy job, we can talk about tough jobs and touch circumstances.

Has your job ever resulted in the life or death of someone merely based on your decision making?

Didn't think so.

Your job is to go to work, take an order, bring said order back, and wipe of the ****ing table. STFU.

If you want a tip, earn it. And bitching about it in settings like this is just more likely to make more people anti-tipping.
Wow. Have you found the EAC thread yet?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #89
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 31 Posts

jd3: Was I crying with my statement? Oh wait no, I was just telling you to get an effing clue then come back and post. But that's not gunna happen b/c you def fall into this category
Quote:
People who don't tip aren't standing on some higher moral ground, they're cheap bastards looking for a way to rationalize their cheapness and not feel guilty about it.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #90
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Wow. Have you found the EAC thread yet?
+1

so what if you were doing your best to save somebody and they died anyway, then the family was pissed so you didn't get paid and still had to pay taxes on what you should have gotten paid and you had to give money to the other people you work with? you'd be pissed to. don't get me wrong, i'm sure what you do is more important than bringing people food. but as a server you get bitched at, at least once a day, sometimes more. that's from cooks, for doing a special order for somebody, and from customers when anything is wrong. i don't work in a restaurant anymore, but i loved doing it. 99% of the customers loved having me as a server, but that doesn't mean that 1% should steal from me because they didn't like what they ordered. if i ever screwed something up, i apologized and fixed it. the times i didn't get tipped it was because cheap, unhappy assholes didn't feel like me doing them a service warranted anything from them. if you can't afford to tip, or if you can do a better job at serving your own food. then stay at home and service your self.... cocksuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.