Old 06-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
OK ...... anyone know what causes the pellicle to form?

I've done 2 all-brett beers (WLP650) and not had a pellicle. Used the same yeast in secondary in a couple of beers and got a real good pellicle.
My guess is the transfer to secondary introduced enough oxygen to kick brett into its usual pellicle-forming ways. I also never had a pellicle on an all brett beer.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
cyraxx
Recipes 

Apr 2010
State College

Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
The pellicle dropped so I finally kegged it. I drew a small sample off tonight to see where things are. It still needs more time to carb but I have some initial impressions. I made the recipe simple to showcase the brett character. The brett flavor is really in the forefront. It is very complex but not overpowering. The only thing I could count against it is that it has a very thin mouthfeel. The flavor is not watered down at all but it still feels very thin and watery. Is this a normal consequence of how low brett finishes out?

All in all it is very good. My experience with brett is limited but the flavor is so complex I find I have a tough time describing it. I have to admit, I have never licked a "sweaty horse blanket" but for some reason that seems to fit.
I think that once you get it carbed to the correct level the mouthfeel will be where you want it.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
ryane
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Washington
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
My guess is the transfer to secondary introduced enough oxygen to kick brett into its usual pellicle-forming ways. I also never had a pellicle on an all brett beer.
My WY Brux beers never get a pellicle unless used in the secondary, but the lambicus beers always have a weird krausen and a funky pellicle, Id bet that along with oxygen levels, the strain of brett also plays an important role