Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone) - Page 49 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #481
Bad_Horse_Brews

Recipes 

Jan 2013
Odenton, Md.
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Got a buddy who likes Belgians and wants to try out brewing beer, thinking this will be a good batch to let him test the waters with me. I haven't made a belgian yet, not too big on them though they aren't bad. Anything fancy I should know about adding the flavorings or do you just drop them in at the specified boil times? No hops bags or fancy tricks? Do you drain them out or let them sit in the primary?

I'd like to point out I'm planning on only showing him the all-grain method, if you are going to learn how, why not just learn the best way, right? I'm a good friend, that's why...

Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #482
ZombieBrew83

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Horse_Brews View Post
Got a buddy who likes Belgians and wants to try out brewing beer, thinking this will be a good batch to let him test the waters with me. I haven't made a belgian yet, not too big on them though they aren't bad. Anything fancy I should know about adding the flavorings or do you just drop them in at the specified boil times? No hops bags or fancy tricks? Do you drain them out or let them sit in the primary?

I'd like to point out I'm planning on only showing him the all-grain method, if you are going to learn how, why not just learn the best way, right? I'm a good friend, that's why...
Nothing too fancy. Do you have temperature control for your fermenters? The ferm temps can have a pretty big impact on the final flavor depending on a few degrees cooler or warmer.

I like to let the orange peal and spice into the fermenter. Just make sure you crack the coriander seed just before tossing it in.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #483
grumpybrewingco
Recipes 

Dec 2011
fenton, mi
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always use a hop bag, just so they don't clog my system. I put orange and crushed coriander in it as we'll. I didn't put in secondary, only last 10 minutes of boil. Plan on washing yeast to save since I really like the ease of this recipe and the overall taste. It's a great summer beer.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #484
grumpybrewingco
Recipes 

Dec 2011
fenton, mi
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2071294256.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	111943

Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #485
drums09
Recipes 

Jun 2012

Still a relative newbie here...

So I followed the Blue Moon clone extract recipe (biermuncher) and have a question...

Recipe calls for 3# extra light DME and1# dry wheat extract. My LHBS suggested I flip the ratios and try 3# dry wheat extract and 1# extra light DME. I did a full 5.5 gal boil.

So far so good... until I forgot to add the 1# of extra light DME. Did my full 60 min boil.

I started to chill the wort with my chiller (made it to approx 100 degrees) then noticed the 1# of extra light DME still sitting on the counter. I quickly reheated it on stove (also have immersion heater). Brought it up to 160 pretty quickly, and held it for about 10 min. Then I re-cooled to 80, aerated and pitched my yeast. OG was 1.054.

Should I be concerned with this last-minute wheat extract addition??

Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #486
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums09
Still a relative newbie here...

So I followed the Blue Moon clone extract recipe (biermuncher) and have a question...

Recipe calls for 3# extra light DME and1# dry wheat extract. My LHBS suggested I flip the ratios and try 3# dry wheat extract and 1# extra light DME. I did a full 5.5 gal boil.

So far so good... until I forgot to add the 1# of extra light DME. Did my full 60 min boil.

I started to chill the wort with my chiller (made it to approx 100 degrees) then noticed the 1# of extra light DME still sitting on the counter. I quickly reheated it on stove (also have immersion heater). Brought it up to 160 pretty quickly, and held it for about 10 min. Then I re-cooled to 80, aerated and pitched my yeast. OG was 1.054.

Should I be concerned with this last-minute wheat extract addition??
I don't think 10 mins at 160F is long enough to sterilize the dme addition. I'd be somewhat worried about contamination. I probably would at least have boiled the addition for 10 mins. Not trying to be mr. negative, though. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #487
branman
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Do you use a secondary for this recipe? And if so how long? I ussually do 1 week in primary and 1 week in secondary with previous belgian recipes. Sound good or should I change? Any thoughts appreciated

Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #488
RandalG

Recipes 

Dec 2008
The Windy City
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman View Post
Do you use a secondary for this recipe? And if so how long? I ussually do 1 week in primary and 1 week in secondary with previous belgian recipes. Sound good or should I change? Any thoughts appreciated
That's an ongoing debate around here. I usually just leave it in primary for the 3-4 weeks with good results. I only move to secondary when I'm dry hopping or adding fruit.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #489
branman
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Got everything in primary... smell great! And a suggeastion to anybody doing this for the first time, use a blowoff or 6 gallon carboy (lots of krausen)

Old 04-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #490
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalG

That's an ongoing debate around here. I usually just leave it in primary for the 3-4 weeks with good results. I only move to secondary when I'm dry hopping or adding fruit.
Same here. 3 weeks in primary for this recipe and it turns out great.