Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone) - Page 44 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #431
OBayBrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Ochlockonee Bay, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Going to be starting this one today. Any thoughts on using 1/3 as much Magnum hops at 15ish% instead of Goldings East Kent?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #432
OBayBrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Ochlockonee Bay, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Started this baby yesterday. I made two minor (I hope!) changes. First, I used 1/3oz of Magnum hops at 15.2% simply because that is what I had on hand. Second, I let the coriander seed and orange peel boil for 10 minutes rather than the 5 mins the recipe called for. It smelled heavenly and I had good yeast action about 6 hours after pitching. I plan to have this as one of the beers at our annual New Years party. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #433
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBayBrewer View Post
Started this baby yesterday. I made two minor (I hope!) changes. First, I used 1/3oz of Magnum hops at 15.2% simply because that is what I had on hand. Second, I let the coriander seed and orange peel boil for 10 minutes rather than the 5 mins the recipe called for. It smelled heavenly and I had good yeast action about 6 hours after pitching. I plan to have this as one of the beers at our annual New Years party. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Sounds like it will be spot on.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #434
OBayBrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Ochlockonee Bay, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBayBrewer
Just did a hydro reading on this brew this morning and it is already down to 1.010. My OG was 1.040 which should give me an ABV of approx 3.94%.

It tasted pretty good, but the hops were prominent, though this should mellow with time. There was a taste of wheat on the back of the tongue that lingered nicely after each sip. The mouthfeel was a bit thin, but not bad. I think time in the bottle will round everything out nicely. I'm just hoping it is ready by New Years. I know it will be drinkable, but probably not truly "ready".

Definitely a good, simple AG Witbier that I will try to always have on hand!

Thanks Biermuncher!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #435
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBayBrewer View Post
Just did a hydro reading on this brew this morning and it is already down to 1.010. My OG was 1.040 which should give me an ABV of approx 3.94%.

It tasted pretty good, but the hops were prominent, though this should mellow with time. There was a taste of wheat on the back of the tongue that lingered nicely after each sip. The mouthfeel was a bit thin, but not bad. I think time in the bottle will round everything out nicely. I'm just hoping it is ready by New Years. I know it will be drinkable, but probably not truly "ready".

Definitely a good, simple AG Witbier that I will try to always have on hand!

Thanks Biermuncher!!!
The mouth feel on this beer improves greatly once properly carb'd.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #436
allthingsgiant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Chicago
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Just pulled my first pint of this stuff from the kegerator exactly 1 month from brew date. Brewed it per BierMucher's recipe verbatim, except I added a full oz. of bitter orange peel (didn't want to waste the last 1/4 oz). OG 1.041, FG 1.010. Mashed at 150F. Currently at 2.5 carbonation levels, will get it up to 3.5 here in the next week. I also added some gelatin to the keg (standard practice for me) to try to clear it up a bit (didn't work so much, that's ok).

Note that I currently have a head cold, and can't smell very well which might sway my comments, but my initial thoughts are that it's very light-bodied, and definitely bitter/spicy from the orange. The mouthfeel is very thin, too, like water. Pale in color (Beersmith says 3.5 SRM, and I agree). Good coriander flavor, perfect quantity. It's definitely very easy to drink and put back. I will be interested to put a slice of orange on my glass (gasp!) and see if that offers any improvement to it (might sweeten up the spiciness of it).

Not a super huge fan at the moment, but also not a huge witbier / Blue Moon fan in general. Maybe it's the head cold I'm dealing with, maybe it's the low ABV I'm not used to. Maybe next time I'll jack up the ABV another 0.5% with more grist, and mash at 152-154ish. I dunno... I do agree with other reviews that it tastes more like a Hooegarden than Blue Moon.

Either way, a good quality session witbier, and I bet it would go back smoothly after a day in the summer sun (it's 30 degrees and snow on the ground as I type, which might affect my response, too).

Thanks for the recipe.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #437
OBayBrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Ochlockonee Bay, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bottled 5 gallons of BB 26th December and am hoping it will be drinkable for New Years. If not, it'll stay in the fridge and finish and I'll enjoy it later.

Thanks again to BierMuncher for a great, simple, delicious recipe. Slainté!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #438
nickmv
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Memphis
Liked 66 Times on 50 Posts

So I'm getting ready to brew this one this week, but the numbers aren't adding up for me.

With 4.5 lbs of 2 row and 4.5lbs of flaked wheat, I'm showing 1.044 @ 70% for a 5.5 gal batch. I see you show 1.038???

Am I missing something? Using BeerSmith 2
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Kegged & Waiting:
ON TAP: Oatmeal Stout[br /]Holiday IPA

Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #439
OBayBrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Ochlockonee Bay, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBayBrewer
Bottled 5 gallons of BB 26th December and am hoping it will be drinkable for New Years. If not, it'll stay in the fridge and finish and I'll enjoy it later.

Thanks again to BierMuncher for a great, simple, delicious recipe. Slainté!
It was drinkable, but has gotten better and better every day since! This will be a staple, though I'll dial back the hops a bit in my next batch. I ended up using APPROXIMATELY 0.33 oz of Magnum at 15.32% instead of the EKG at 5%. Next time I'll pick up the EKG instead is subing something else. Anyway, damn good brew!

nickmv Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #440
nickmv
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Memphis
Liked 66 Times on 50 Posts

Just tried this @ 7days (1.048 was my OG -- way overly efficient) with 1oz coriander @ 10min, 1.2oz navel orange peel @ 6 mins.

This is absolutely fantastic at only 1 wk old. I'm going to go ahead and keg one of the carboys. Def the fastest beer to be drinkable for me. This is definitely getting rebrewed again and again.

Also, it reminds me much more of a Hoegaarden than a Blue Moon, as others have indicated, especially in terms of color. It's very light. This is hitting the keg in time for the Super Bowl for sure.
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Kegged & Waiting:
ON TAP: Oatmeal Stout[br /]Holiday IPA