Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Multiple - Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #401
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro
Thanks ZombieBrew83 - I may have overstated by describing it as "paint" The flavor is not solvent-like, but it is very ... fruity almost, estery I guess. Before I dump it I'll try to find someone who knows the styles who can advise on whether I brewed a bad batch, or a good batch I don't like. I'll try the other recipes next.
I had a couple of these last night to meditate on you problem a little I think that the orange peal could create a little sourness and tartness if you add it too soon. I usually throw mine in with the coriander at 5 minutes and then let it stay in the kettle as I cool. I think that helps to hold onto the orange aroma more instead of letting it boil off. Ferm temps have a big impact with this too. I try to push mine a little on the high side to subdue the spicy ness of 3994.

I'd guess that you'll be fine. The flavor will mellow a little bit over time as well.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #402
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro
Reporting back - I think I failed. My batch is tart (almost sour), and has a taste that is distinctly not Blue Moon. It may be the phenolic taste of Hoegarden, but I have never tasted one, so don't know.

Points to consider:

- I didn't use oats. I should have read this entire thread before jumping in!

- I had a heck of a time cooling it off (large volume & no wort chiller) and pitched at 80 after several hours in an ice water bath.

- I boiled away my aromatics by adding them too soon. Orange and coriander should go in at flameout or very close to it.

- I used Belgian Witbier yeast. I think this may be the main source of the tartness/aroma. It also tasted very yeasty even after 3 weeks in the fermenter.

- I bottled too soon (3 weeks) - should have used a secondary and aged it for a while.

So.. will this beer improve, or should I just chuck it and keep experimenting? It ain't Blue Moon or anything near it, but it might be a nice Belgian for all I know. It tastes like paint to me, but for all I know that is how Belgian Witbier is supposed to taste. (Don't ask how I know what paint tastes like.)
I have made this 3 times now (with a tad bit of tweaking). Yes, it does not really taste much like blue moon (much much better, IMO). I would think to get more like BM, use a clean ale yeast instead of Belgian. Belgian yeast seems to have a pretty distinct, spicy, taste. Has become one of my favorite high level types of beer.

This brew has become a staple for me. I believe I have found my "house brew" - I always want to have it on tap

Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #403
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Use your basic 2-row. Don't measure out rice hulls in pounds so much. A ten pound sack is the size of 55 sack of barley. I usually use one full (decent sized) sauce pan for every five gallons.Your water / grain ratio looks fine.

so im brewing 10 gallons of this tomorrow but after i input my grain using the US 2 row at 2srm my and its calculating the final srm to be 3.2.. wouldn't the maris otter bump the srm to a closer level to your recipe? would it just change the entire taste profile? if thats the case what about adding some C40 to get the srm back in line with the original recipe? i also have british 50 - 60 malt

HELP PLEASE i know its last minute thanks all

Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #404
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Used the 2 row and alittle C40 and US 05 hit all numbers. Looks great and its bubbling away

Old 08-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #405
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Brewing this tomorrow i added an extra pound of flaked wheat and uk pale this is what i came up with.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Blue Balls

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Belgian Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.39%
IBU (tinseth): 17.96
SRM (morey): 4.19

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 lb - Pale 2-Row (50%)
5.5 lb - Flaked Wheat (50%)

HOPS:
1 oz - East Kent Goldings (AA 5) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Mash in @ Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3.5 gal
2) Mash out @ Temp 168 F, Time 10 min, Amount 3.0 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.75 oz - Bitter Orange Peel, Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
0.75 oz - Corriander , Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - Belgian Wit Ale Yeast WLP400
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76%
Flocculation: Low-Med
Optimum Temperature: 67 F - 74 F

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2012-08-17 17:40 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2012-08-17 17:39 UTC

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #406
jefro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Checking back in - after being in the bottle for a month, the stuff I made is actually drinkable. I can taste the orange slightly, but not the coriander at all, as a note on a background of simple pale ale. There is also an overtone that is quite phenolic and estery, almost citrusy but not quite, which I attribute directly to the yeast (WLP400) - this is what I thought tasted like paint a few weeks ago. After aging, I have decided it is not really a bad taste, but not one that I would make with the recipe I did. I can taste the same sort of thing in other Belgians, where it is much complemented by malty sweetness, as in a good abbey ale.

Next time I want a Belgian beer, I'll make a dubbel or saison, I think. Next time I try to re-create Blue Moon I'll use ale yeast as well as oats, as the true original calls for, and add the spices at flameout.

I learn *so much* from this group.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #407
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 46

This may have been covered but damned if I read 41 pages for a simple answer...

The OP shows a OG of 1.038. Why so low? That is an efficiency in the mid 60's if I'm not mistaken. A lot of people were chiming in that they "hit all the numbers." So why is efficiency lacking in this recipe? Is it the flaked wheat?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #408
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
This may have been covered but damned if I read 41 pages for a simple answer...

The OP shows a OG of 1.038. Why so low? That is an efficiency in the mid 60's if I'm not mistaken. A lot of people were chiming in that they "hit all the numbers." So why is efficiency lacking in this recipe? Is it the flaked wheat?
Yep.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #409
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Ok, cool. Well, we didn't boil down as much as expected doing a 10 gallon recipe of this and ended up with 11 gallons at 1.040. I was bummed that the efficiency wasn't there but that explains why. I never have as good efficiency when brewing with wheat.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #410
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Its been 14 days in primary I'm going to keg this up tonight. What psi do you recommend?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra