Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone) - Page 10 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Old 02-07-2009, 06:03 AM   #91
Dougan
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Stevens Point, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I thin it will work fine. I'll use safale-05 when I can't get m y hands on belgian wit yeast. I know the diff, but I brew this as much for company as anyone and they never know the difference.
Interesting... isn't safale-05 similar to the 1056 chico? Seems like that would have a much different profile than a belgian wit yeast would. Maybe this all means that I'm just too picky with my yeast! Anyway, thank you for the response... my lack of ideal yeast had me worried and you've fixed that.

Search Recipes by Ingredients | Check out my brewing recipes!

Primary: Lagunitas IPA Clone
Kegged: German Pilsner, Clydesdale (Spotted Cow Clone)

Old 02-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #92
luvmy40
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Youngstown, OH

I used this recipe for my first Wit.
It is very nice. A bit more robust than Blue Moon, almost a Hefe+ coriander.

5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.2 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
5.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.2 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

I am going to give the AG recipe that the OP quoted in the near future.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #93
BlackNotch

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Wilmington, DE
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just racked a batch of this yesterday and hope to have it kegged in 2 weeks. Good job BM, this looks and smells GREAT! The wife is dying to try this one, she's not a fan of hoppy beers so she hasn't liked too many of my brews.

My OG was 1.048 and is now 1.010, a little higher, but the only change I made was a 1/2 lb less of the pale malt and a 1/2 lb less of the wheat, but added 1 lb of oats. The only reason was the Blue Moon sight says they use the oats.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #94
orcus332
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Columbus, OH
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hi everyone! My first post and I had a question about this recipe. I'm considering brewing this for my first brew. Im confused as to what "4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp" is? I thought this was a grain. With this being a partial mash recipe shouldn't there be some sort of DME or LME involved, not all grain? Thanks!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #95
GNBrews
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Use a good two-row and it will turn-out great. I substituted wheat malt for the flaked wheat, and the flavor was *very* close to the real deal.

As for the recipe being partial mash, where did you read that?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:44 AM   #96
orcus332
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Columbus, OH
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry about that, i think im going crazy. BM, had mentioned an alternative for a partial mash and i think i got the two confused. Anyway, since I'm just starting out, im going to try the partial mash recipe (since I dont have equipment for all grain or any experience!). How would I go about working in a pound of flaked oats into the recipe (would I need to reduce the DME or flaked wheat? Also, how many ounces of hops would I need if I got a pelleted US Saaz? Lastly, I'll need some sort of grain bag for the oats and wheat correct?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #97
AgainRelined
Recipes 

Nov 2008

I have a request to brew up a Belgian Wit, and I'm hoping to try this recipe this weekend. Thanks for putting it up!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #98
simps984
Recipes 

Jul 2007

This recipe sounds delicious. I just placed my order on brewmasterswarehouse.com ... following the advice of Sam Calagione's "Extreme Brewing" I'm also adding a good pinch of a "secret spice" right at the end of the boil - Cardamom. Will let you all know how it goes.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #99
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5019 Times on 3389 Posts

I've done this one 3 times before. First one turned out really good. Second had something go wrong, not sure, but may have been infection. Third was ok, but not really like a true wit.

Those were all extract, and soon I'm going to try it AG. I'm excited because I really like this beer, and going AG might allow me to get the lighter color I wanted, and help me tune in my mashing process.

I'll have to buy some wheat, so which one should I get? I'd read about people using several different ones. I'm really shooting for as close to Blue Moon as possible.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:38 AM   #100
android

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts

BM, do you actually put this in secondary for 5 days or is that kegging time?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller