Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > Aug 27th Plainfield, IL Midwest Brewers Festival

Old 08-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
hough77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It was awesome, they need to add a home brew competition for next year.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
absoluthamm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 30

agreed

Keg #1: Sour Raisin Cider
Keg #2: Pucker Up and Smoke
Keg #3: Fairfield Nut Brown
Keg #4: Here Gose Nothing...
Keg #5: KarmaCitra Pale Ale

Bottled: Mackenzie's Barleywine
In Primary: None
In Secondary: None
On Deck: Black Metal and Funk Metal Clones

Untappd: absoluthamm

Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a great time.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for coming out! I poured practically non-stop in the Homebrew Pavillion from 3:30pm until the 7:30pm cut-off! A competition might be a good idea in the future. As it is, I was amazed at how much work went in to pulling this Fest off - by a lot of people far more involved than me.

Good article here:
http://plainfield.patch.com/articles...#photo-7516721

Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4766 Times on 4655 Posts
Likes Given: 2831

Tips for next year:

- Commemorative glass glasses (see Great Lakes Beer Fest for example)
- do away with the drink tickets. Most people are not going to sample more than 25 with or without the tickets. Selling them for $0.50 each additional was just a waste of time.

Other than that, it was a great event. Thanks to those who organized and volunteered.

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA
Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22
I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Unfortunately, Plainfield village mandated both of these issues, and a bunch more things... my personal feeling is you would still see tickets again next year. But I would hope with the stunning success of the event, Plainfield will loosen up on a couple of their mandates. One can hope.

But totally agree - what I great fest, esp. for a first time, grassroots (no paid planner) brew fest, it was amazing!

Brewed: Scottish Ale 80 - Ode to Arthur Stout - Benrath Alt - Araucania Huaso Wit - Two Hearted Ale - Dark Star Porter - Yoopers Dead Guy Ale - Cassandra the Dark, Russian Imp. Stout - Yooper's Fat Tire - Scott-A-Tron IPA - Orange Kolsch - I69PA - Rye Opener - Lick Me I am an Irish Stout - Fat Thaddeus the Third Triple - Holy ESB of Antioch

*Member of PALE (Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts)

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4766 Times on 4655 Posts
Likes Given: 2831

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlawlor View Post
Unfortunately, Plainfield village mandated both of these issues, and a bunch more things... my personal feeling is you would still see tickets again next year. But I would hope with the stunning success of the event, Plainfield will loosen up on a couple of their mandates. One can hope.

But totally agree - what I great fest, esp. for a first time, grassroots (no paid planner) brew fest, it was amazing!
Sort of expected that to have been the case, but I would hope the success would help sell those issues to be lifted for next year. Could probably show the entry ticket sales vs extra tickets and they would realize very few extra tickets were actually sold/used. The coordination and overhead of it all was just useless overhead. Even if the event were an hour or 2 shorter it would have been fine.

Great event, though.

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA
Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22
I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
FermentEd

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Sort of expected that to have been the case, but I would hope the success would help sell those issues to be lifted for next year. Could probably show the entry ticket sales vs extra tickets and they would realize very few extra tickets were actually sold/used. The coordination and overhead of it all was just useless overhead. Even if the event were an hour or 2 shorter it would have been fine.

Great event, though.
Under State law and local ordinance you may not sell tickets to an event for the consumption of "unlimited drinks". This is why we must provide tickets for individual samples, otherwise it is considered "unlimited".

Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 AM   #19
absoluthamm
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 30

How do all you can drink bar specials fit in then? I've been to probably a hundred of those!(not arguing, just curious)
Keg #1: Sour Raisin Cider
Keg #2: Pucker Up and Smoke
Keg #3: Fairfield Nut Brown
Keg #4: Here Gose Nothing...
Keg #5: KarmaCitra Pale Ale

Bottled: Mackenzie's Barleywine
In Primary: None
In Secondary: None
On Deck: Black Metal and Funk Metal Clones

Untappd: absoluthamm

Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #20
kramerica
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know this is over and done with but I was at the Wheaton ale fest and they had no tickets and it was unlimited. I skipped the Plainfield fest because of the tickets. Hopefully it will change next year. Not sure about the state laws or anything like that but the cities pretty close to each other.