Originally Posted by Pumbaa
I prefer it baked.
Put it in a roasting pan with about 1/2" of water in the pan. bake it for about 2-3 hours at 325, uncovered for the last half of the cooking time. Let it rest for 20 minutes after you take it out and have a good knife ready . . .when you slice it make sure you are slicing it across the grain of the meat
Try putting a glaze on it as it bakes. It is the best. Here is a recipe I snagged, there are others that could be better.
Kansas City-Candied Corned Beef
By Chef Robert
* 1 corned beef brisket, about 4 lbs.
* 20 black peppercorns
* 2 bay leaves
* 3 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
* 1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
* 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
* 1 tsp. ground ginger
* 2 Tbsp. tomato ketchup
* 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
* 1 tsp. molasses
1. Place brisket in a pot and cover with water.
2. Add peppercorns and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
3. Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours until fork tender, Set aside and make glaze.
1. Drain corned beef and place on a foiled baking sheet.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350°.
3. Mix sugar, soy sauce, mustard, ginger, ketchup, pepper flakes and molasses.
4. Mix together in a bowl and brush brisket with glaze.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes re-glazing two times while cooking.
6. Refrigerate overnight and slice across the grain very thin for sandwiches.