Fall beer, when to brew? And what to brew? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fall beer, when to brew? And what to brew?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
mcaple1
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Falcon, CO
Posts: 892
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


You can brew pumpkin ale with the canned pumpkin...NOT NOT NOT the pumpkin pie filling. Then add some all spice or cinnamon or whatever to taste. I like the tea method addition to the secondary, but that's just me.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
chapa
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
St Louis, MO
Posts: 801
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Personally I plan on making a pumpkin porter with just pumpkin spice. Last year I did a light brown with real pumpkin and a spice tea, and it was a hassle using the real pumpkin. I don't really care about it being authentic, I just want the flavor! And I tried a pumpkin porter that a guy at my homebrew club made last year and it was sooo good!


__________________
Fermenting/Conditioning: Casc/Cent APA, Hoppy Birthday Amarillo/Simcoe IPA(6g American/5g Belgian), Chappist Belgian Dubbel
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
onipar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Tannersville, PA
Posts: 1,219
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


A lot, if not most, of the recipes I've read call for the real thing. I haven't read into why, but I assumed it had something to do with the canned stuff being all pureed and adding to clouding issues?

Otherwise, I have no problem using real pumpkin. I'm a nut like that. I actually use real pumpkins to make my pies as well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
bruin_ale
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Campbell, CA
Posts: 1,436
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


I typically make my pumpkin ale in september because of what you state - no pumpkins available until it's almost fall already. As a result, it's usually not ready to drink til mid november.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
mcaple1
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Falcon, CO
Posts: 892
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
A lot, if not most, of the recipes I've read call for the real thing. I haven't read into why, but I assumed it had something to do with the canned stuff being all pureed and adding to clouding issues?

Otherwise, I have no problem using real pumpkin. I'm a nut like that. I actually use real pumpkins to make my pies as well.
"Cloudiness"....what are you, some kind of commercial brewery? I used the canned stuff and it worked just fine. Cold crash it and use some gelatin if you really want better clarity and it will be fine. Also, when adding the pumpkin to the boil, you can use a fine mesh bag to hold most of the gunk before you whirlpool.

Cloudiness....you make me laugh fellow homebrewer....if only cloudiness had a flavor (and yes, weizens cloudiness is from yeast...so yes, flavor)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
chapa
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
St Louis, MO
Posts: 801
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1

"Cloudiness"....what are you, some kind of commercial brewery? I used the canned stuff and it worked just fine. Cold crash it and use some gelatin if you really want better clarity and it will be fine. Also, when adding the pumpkin to the boil, you can use a fine mesh bag to hold most of the gunk before you whirlpool.

Cloudiness....you make me laugh fellow homebrewer....if only cloudiness had a flavor (and yes, weizens cloudiness is from yeast...so yes, flavor)
He was just making an assumption. I don't think he's really THAT concerned with cloudiness. Canned or real, it's all a PITA ... IMHO
__________________
Fermenting/Conditioning: Casc/Cent APA, Hoppy Birthday Amarillo/Simcoe IPA(6g American/5g Belgian), Chappist Belgian Dubbel
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
SwampassJ
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 2,163
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts


I envy you people with seasons beyond summer, not summer.
__________________
BLAH BLAH BLAH

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
onipar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Tannersville, PA
Posts: 1,219
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1 View Post
"Cloudiness"....what are you, some kind of commercial brewery? I used the canned stuff and it worked just fine. Cold crash it and use some gelatin if you really want better clarity and it will be fine. Also, when adding the pumpkin to the boil, you can use a fine mesh bag to hold most of the gunk before you whirlpool.

Cloudiness....you make me laugh fellow homebrewer....if only cloudiness had a flavor (and yes, weizens cloudiness is from yeast...so yes, flavor)
Haha, yeah... If you look very, very carefully, you'll see two important indicators in my sentence. One is "assume" and the other is a question mark.

I was asking why is it most recipes call for fresh pumpkin, while making the assumption it might have to do with cloudiness.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
mcaple1
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Falcon, CO
Posts: 892
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
Haha, yeah... If you look very, very carefully, you'll see two important indicators in my sentence. One is "assume" and the other is a question mark.

I was asking why is it most recipes call for fresh pumpkin, while making the assumption it might have to do with cloudiness.
no...I read it right...and you "assumed" right. It will contribute to cloudiness in your beer, which is why I'm telling you if that is putting you off from using it, then here are some ways to mitigate the cloudiness issue.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
onipar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Tannersville, PA
Posts: 1,219
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1 View Post
no...I read it right...and you "assumed" right. It will contribute to cloudiness in your beer, which is why I'm telling you if that is putting you off from using it, then here are some ways to mitigate the cloudiness issue.
Gotcha. Yeah, the cloudiness thing doesn't actually bother me that much. I just liked the idea of using pumpkins (for my aforementioned reason that I'm nutty).

I only brought it up because of the recipes I've read. But thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to do that if I go the canned route.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long does your krausen usually take to fall into the beer? Pixalated Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 02-05-2012 05:54 AM
What to brew for fall...? PassionBeer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 08-24-2010 10:08 PM
True Brew Beer Kit - First time to brew. sverige82 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 12-09-2008 12:01 AM
A good fall brew? BrosBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 06-15-2008 03:06 PM
First beer - Fall seems too soon Rodanrodanadana Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-08-2007 12:15 AM


Forum Jump