Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer taste/smells like soda syrup

Old 06-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
cincybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Beer taste/smells like soda syrup

I made the Centennial Blonde and it's been kegged for two weeks now but I'm starting to pick up the syrup smell that was left behind in the used corny kegs that I purchased. It was a PITA to clean these things but I thought I got the smell removed but apparently not. Has anyone had a similar situation? Should I try to transfer the beer and hope the syrup hasn't ruined the beer? Any suggestions?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you changed the O-ring seals? Change out everything rubber. Soda soaks into rubber like crazy and it's impossible to remove it. As for the stainless steel portion of the keg, a good soak and rinse should be more than enough to remove presence of the soda.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Have you changed the O-ring seals? Change out everything rubber. Soda soaks into rubber like crazy and it's impossible to remove it. As for the stainless steel portion of the keg, a good soak and rinse should be more than enough to remove presence of the soda.
Well, I thought I did. I didn't replace the o-ring on the top of the posts because I wasn't even sure how to get those things off. Not sure if those need replacing or not. Other than that I'm pretty sure I replaced everything. I can't recall about the release valve.

I soaked in oxiclean for like two days and still had trouble removing the smell. I had to scrub the dip tube like crazy.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Use PBW. Soak overnight with as hot water as possible. Soak all diptubes and post and poppets and lid inside the keg. Change all 5 rubber gaskets. After that rinse and soak for a couple days with iodaphor/water mixture. For some reason it really seems to get rid of any left over smells.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
dedhedjed
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a couple soda kegs I need to clean and have replacement o rings, but what about poppet valves? Do they need to be replaced?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhedjed View Post
I have a couple soda kegs I need to clean and have replacement o rings, but what about poppet valves? Do they need to be replaced?
I would say you should replace them because they do have a rubber seal. However, I have gotten away without replacing the poppets on any of my kegs, and have not had any soda flavors. But who's to say that my poppets weren't already replaced when I got them...

Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
Use PBW. Soak overnight with as hot water as possible. Soak all diptubes and post and poppets and lid inside the keg. Change all 5 rubber gaskets. After that rinse and soak for a couple days with iodaphor/water mixture. For some reason it really seems to get rid of any left over smells.
Do you think the soda has permeated my beer or you think it just picks up the soda as it is pushed out of the keg? I'm wondering if I should transfer the beer over to another keg.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When this happened to me the flavour of the pop was in the beer. I couldn't bring myself to discard the beer, but I immediately changed the five gaskets on all of my kegs.

B

Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Darn. Maybe I will try to transfer it and see if it helps. Or I guess I could just draw a sample directly from the keg, but I assume the flavor has imparted the beer.

Perhaps I should just replace all my posts, poppets, and relief valves.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 67

No just the rubber O-rings on the posts. Remove posts to clean sounds like you didn't remove posts so you are getting syrup in with you beer. Ball-lock use a 7/8 box end to remove.