Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrew Comp/Public VIP tasting shut down

Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm surprised this didn't throw any flags with any of the local homebrewers when the idea was brought up in the first place. Any time there's money involved with homebrew, people err on the side of caution. Odds are they knew what they were doing was wrong, but thought it would get overlooked because it was for a good cause. It sounds like the person who reported them thought that the bar was using the homebrew fundraiser to simultaneously raise business and made her move.

As for ideas, the bar could set up a special beer where the proceeds go towards MS. I like how NB has a kit that can be purchased to support cancer research. They could even do a fundraising cookout. Where I live, the "bars" are really brewpubs and they often do cookouts to get rid of their extra food they're required to stock.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Regardless of the guy who spoke up, you were breaking laws. Find a better way to support charities. I personally cannot believe you tried to sell homebrewed beer at a restaurant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty73741 View Post
the bar owner is lucky they arent loosing their license.
I'm going to have to agree with these guys.

Also, not to split hairs, but reading the article linked in the first post it sounds like the even was cancelled and not shut down. IMO, it's probably better that it went down this way instead of having someone show up during the event itself when homebrew was being served...

Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Baraboo Brew
Recipes 

Thanks for all the replies and ideas everyone! Hopefully we can work on changing the laws before the event next year. I have read of a few establishments having their liquor license suspended for the day of the event, but that still doen't help us with the "only served at the place where it was brewed" issue.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Baraboo Brew
Recipes 

The idea came from other similar charity events here in WI that are advertised and even one that is not a charity event put on by a chamber of commerce, so it was assumed that the laws are not strictly enforced. That is unless someone complains!

Old 06-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I would get in touch with the AHA if you are serious about changing laws. We have had some good changes in WA recently, such as it is now legal to transport your brew outside of your home for serving purposes (ie taking it to your friends). Of course you would be hard pressed to find a cop who would enforce such stupid laws, but its not worht bucking the tiger. It would also be reasonable to work on getting a law passed stating that homebrew can be sold for charity for such events as long as 100% proceeds go to the charity (maybe some caveat about that other than recouping material costs for the brewer no income can be made). This would be great because it would give homebrew some attention and allow those aspiring to go pro to get a small following for their homebrew label, easing the transition. Good entrepreneurial laws are always better than tax protection laws, especially ones that are win-win-win.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah, what he said.^^^

Joining and working with the Wisconsin Brewers Guild and American Homebrewers Association(AHA) may be a good place to start. Specifically the AHA. Changing homebrew laws is something they were formed for. I believe they have worked with homebrewers in other states to help get laws changed. Like I said, this isn't an isolated incident.

It does seem like selective enforcement. That is part of the problem though, it isn't legal and while most people probably don't care one way or the other it only takes one person to complain and shut everything down.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #17
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 703 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 76

It's a shame that this turned out the way it did. With the limited info available on the matter, it seems as if both sides acted a bit irresponsibly. It would've been nice to find a middle ground where the competition could still be held in conjunction with the charity event. A local brewer might have had the ability to help make that happen...

Old 06-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #18
Baraboo Brew
Recipes 

Thanks Logan and Bensiff, I sent an email to the AHA looking for help on Friday and am a current member. I have heard of agroup of homebrewers in WI already working on the issue and hopefully the AHA will be able to hook me/us up with them. Does anyone here know of that group? By the way, 100% of the proceeds were going to charity with the homebrewers donating their brews.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Stuff like that should be easy to get a state house rep to pick up on and sponsor a bill, after all its for charity and its always good to slap your political name on a pro-charity bill.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Maybe PM Bernie Brewer. Sounds like his HB club was trying to contact other HB clubs and get something organized. Read through the first thread I linked about the problems in Racine.