Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > hop randall vs. dry hop in keg

Old 06-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
-TH-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default hop randall vs. dry hop in keg

So I started building a hop randall the other day after seeing a build write up in BYO magazine, and I then I began thinking about how well (or not well) this thing is going to work. I'm thinking that if the beer sits in the randall for a few days, the first pour would be really hoppy. But then subsequent pours would be less hoppy until beer is able to sit in there for a while again. In a word - inconsistent. Then I thought, would it just be better to dry hop in the keg, since the hop aroma would most likely be more consistent from glass to glass? Of course I have not done either method up to this point so I thought I would throw this out there and see if any of you have had some experience with either of these methods or both and what your opinions are...

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 06-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I believe a Randall is only for serving beer immediately, like at a party. I don't think you are supposed to keep beer in it on a permanent basis. Of course I could be wrong....

Old 06-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
phidelt1499
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I've heard that a randall creates alot of foam for what it's worth. I would try the keg dryhop first before you go and buy/build a randall since you wouldn't need to spend hardly any cash... Then if it's not what you're looking for, maybe invest in the randall...