Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Made many mistakes. Is my brew still okay?

Old 06-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
musicman1789
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Made many mistakes. Is my brew still okay?

Hi all,

I brewed my third batch of beer today. It was a porter from midwest brewing. I thought it would take about 3 hours to brew, as my last 2 took that long. For some reason, the water was taking much slower to boil (maybe because I was using an electric stove vs gas stove?). Anyway, I was crunched for time as I had to be somewhere. Because of this time constraint, I made many brewing errors.

First error = By the time the water started boiling, I only had about an hour and fifteen minutes before I had to leave. I added my first hop addition slightly before the water started boiling. Then, I did a 30 minute boil.

Second error = The wort wasn't cooling fast enough by me adding water and ice (haven't invested in a wort chiller yet). About a minute before I had to leave, I pitched the yeast at 90 degrees.

Third error = I aerated the wort before as well as slightly after I pitched the yeast (I guess this might not be an error, as it obviously hadn't started fermenting yet).

I'm not usually a worrier, but I did just about everything wrong that I could have done wrong. On top of that, my sanitation wasn't as top notch as it could have been.

I'm going to wait the 2 weeks to try it and potentially keg it, but do you think my beer is ruined? Is there any way I can salvage it? I added some ground coffee. Can I add some vanilla extract to balance any potential off-flavors?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #2
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Patients is necessary in this hobby, liquor stores are for those who cant wait (not trying to be harsh)...as for adding hops to early, you will increase your bitterness...as for a 30 minute boil, its important to do at least a 60 minute boil to stabilize the flavors, additionally not allowing a full boil and a rapid cool down will most likely result in DMS (Dimethyl Sulfides) or a rancid flavor, like cabbage in your beer.

In the end try it before you dump it...and take your time and make amazing beer!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
douglasbarbin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 107

RDWHAHB. It won't be as bad as you think. But ^ is right. More time = better beer.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I betcha it'll be just fine. Probably a little less hoppy due to the short boil, not the end of the world for a porter though. 90 degrees isn't hot enough to kill the yeast, as long as you maintain good fermentation temperatures you should be just fine. RDWHAHB!

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Fid
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Read this thread and RDWHAHB:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Also, are you seriously talking about counteracting possible "off-flavors" on the same day that you brewed??? Chill, don't get crazy with it, let it be and see what comes of it.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
musicman1789
Recipes 

I know patience is key. I was just anxious to brew because my package came today. I thought I would have more time, but I had to go to a concert tonight. =(

Old 06-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 17

should be fine. not the best brew you've done (unless it's the first), but you'll enjoy it
Fermenting: APA

Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
musicman1789
Recipes 

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
douglasbarbin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Generally, I like to devote a whole day to brewing. I do mini-mash and a full boil, though

Old 06-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #10
alenub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just treat this batch as if you did nothing wrong. Yeasties don't hold grudges, they'll still do their thing when conditions aren't perfect and you'll end up at the very least with quaffable beer. RDWHAHB and get that next batch started when you know you've got time.