Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Thinking about quitting brewing.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
jdawgh76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thinking about quitting brewing.

So....I bought a kegerator a couple weeks back but didnt have a batch to keg just yet so I played with all of the parts putting it together. So I have my keg carbed and am ready to install liquid line and the tap tree and a spacer piece is missing. I know I could probably rig this thing up but ive already had a few issues and am really getting tired of it and thinking about taking it back, and just quitting homebrewing all together. Im at all grain and kegging was supposed to be the ultimate, but everything has become too much. I do enjoy it, but I have other things I should probably be focusing on, like getting a better job. My worry with taking this sort of tact is that what if I never find another job, should I put most hobbies on the back burner till when, if i ever do, find a new job. Homebrewing just takes so much time as far as research, yeast starter, bottling/kegging, trips to the brewstore, then the actual brew day. I know this is my decision to make and maybe im having a bad day but, But, maybe I am taking a step back and realizing where my true priorities should lie. any insight would be appreciated.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
drunkwookiee
Recipes 

If you enjoy it that much try some partial extracts while you get your stuff together, you can still brew and keg awesome stuff that way. It's alot faster and somewhat cheaper.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
karljrberno
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A man is nothing with out a hobby

Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by karljrberno View Post
A man is nothing with out a hobby
he is a she... find some friends in the brew comunity to help out.. i spend 2 days a month brewing and maybe 3 nights for prep and cleaning.. kegging is awesome when everything is setup so all you need to do is clean lines and tap a fresh keg...
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. It seems to me maybe you rushed things a little and feel overwhelmed. As to finding a better job, well that's not a bad idea. If I were you, I would take a small break from brewing and focus on your career. Then you will feel better and actually enjoy brewing.

I started slow and fought the urge to go all out and buying all the gadgets. I'm glad I did because I also get overwhelmed at times. Homebrewing is like a relationship, it takes time, dedication and lots of commitment. You have to take it slow.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Runyanka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Hobbies can be put on hold. You can always cone back to it. Try some extract kits to save time, and most of all don't get discouraged, its a hobby, have fun with it!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You know its something your passionate about if you can "slow" the hobby down but still allow it to have a place in your life. You might not brew every weekend, but maybe once a month you brew a couple batches back to back to keep yourself freshly stocked with some tasty beer.

If your willing to just let it go, then it probably wasn't something you were really into to begin with and that's not a bad thing...we are just a little biased because you're on a homebrewing board

For example...another hobby of mine is saltwater fish. For a while there I was obsessed with it constantly buying new gear and livestock and researching every day...almost all I could think about was what I was going to do next with my tank. Then I got really interested in homebrewing and a few other things (i'm just thirsty for knowledge I guess) and I haven't been spending much time at all with my tank. Would I shut it down...hell no! I still love keeping fish but its nice that I can just go into auto pilot mode with it...remember to feed the fish, appreciate its beauty every once in a while and otherwise not think to much about it. One day i'll be scouring the internet for more information about some fish or something that suddenly plunges me back into the hobby.

With beer its even better because its not just something to look at and enjoy. I mean chances are you enjoy a good beer and your either going to get it from the grocery store or from your own supply. Its like cooking dinner. You might not be excited about trying to lately recipes but you still need to eat

And wow...i'm rambling, but ya take some time away and you'll be back.

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4841 Times on 2893 Posts
Likes Given: 4054

Sure, put it on hold. You'll come back to it when you're ready. Whatever you do, don't get rid of your gear.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
karljrberno
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

A Woman is nothing with out a hobby

Old 06-03-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6975 Times on 5900 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
he is a she...
Or someone who never changed their profile because it defaults to female...