Double IPA Hop Juice Imperial IPA - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Double IPA Hop Juice Imperial IPA

Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #41
slow6i
Recipes 

Sep 2011
vancouver, wa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keninishna View Post
I have to warn anyone brewing this beer. My entire house smelled like a hop garden for about 3 days after brewing this. Needless to say its fermenting nicely now.
This recipe looks amazing to me! But im a little worried about this. I might need to tell the gf to go stay at her moms for a couple days

Quick question: how long for the steep?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #42
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Charlotte, NC
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow6i

This recipe looks amazing to me! But im a little worried about this. I might need to tell the gf to go stay at her moms for a couple days

Quick question: how long for the steep?
I always steep my grains for 30 min. It's been awhile since I brewed this but I would throw the hops in after the grain bag is removed, the dme is mixed in, and you are heating the worth up.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #43
Xaphoeous
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Kaihoro, Phonebox
Liked 829 Times on 805 Posts

What is the boil volume for this hop schedule?
2.5? 5.0?

"Just chug a few. Then all of the sudden it's time to be drunk, and you don't have the time for whatever else you were doing." -TallDan

Old 01-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #44
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Charlotte, NC
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You probably know more than me but I always try and boil as much as I can to improve hop utilization. I think my starting boil volume was somewhere around 5 gal which ended up around 4 by the time I got it in the fermentor

Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #45
eruhland87
Recipes 

Oct 2011

Brewed this 9 days ago and just racked to the secondary last night. The krausen was thick at the top and it smelled amazing. My only worry is that it is very cloudy, but I am hoping it will settle and clear up while in the carboy. My starting gravity was 1.092. I cannot wait to drink this one!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #46
Xaphoeous
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Kaihoro, Phonebox
Liked 829 Times on 805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator
You probably know more than me but I always try and boil as much as I can to improve hop utilization. I think my starting boil volume was somewhere around 5 gal which ended up around 4 by the time I got it in the fermentor
We put the recipe into Beersmith and came up with 132 IBU with a 4 gallon boil. SG was 1.077

"Just chug a few. Then all of the sudden it's time to be drunk, and you don't have the time for whatever else you were doing." -TallDan

Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #47
petetheo
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Marietta, Georgia
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Transferred to secondary last week. When I opened the bucket I realized that my friend who had topped it off had put way too much water in it. It was sitting at about the 6.5 gallon mark. This was concerning because I was worried it would taste watered down. This was not the case. It was completely drinkable, outside of not being carbonated and warm, smelled terrific and was gorgeous in color. I was impressed at how well the Irish moss worked (it was my first time).

After the 5 gallons were racked, I decided to throw half a gallon into a growler that I had laying around with a tablespoon or so of table sugar, just to see how things would go. I mean, it would have been wasted anyways. I'll probably crack that open in a few days and drink it while I bottle the rest of the batch.

Planning: Some sort of Scotch Ale
Primary: Hop Juice IPA
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Big Floppy Cider

Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #48
petetheo
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Marietta, Georgia
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bottling this tonight. As you may have read, I changed some of the hops. This beer smells incredible but I'm not crazy about the taste. If you can pick out the grapefruit taste found in some hops then imagine that taste x1000. This beer is tasting exactly like a bite of bitter grapefruit. Very strange. I'm hoping that once it's carbonated some of that taste will be masked. We'll see.

Planning: Some sort of Scotch Ale
Primary: Hop Juice IPA
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Big Floppy Cider

Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #49
NateLTB
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Seattle, Washington
Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

This beer sounds amazing! I think I'll have to attempt this one soon.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #50
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Aug 2011
, Nevada
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetheo View Post
Bottling this tonight. As you may have read, I changed some of the hops. This beer smells incredible but I'm not crazy about the taste. If you can pick out the grapefruit taste found in some hops then imagine that taste x1000. This beer is tasting exactly like a bite of bitter grapefruit. Very strange. I'm hoping that once it's carbonated some of that taste will be masked. We'll see.
Have things settled down and the grapefruit taste mellowed?