Double IPA Hop Juice Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
YES
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
14 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 days @ 68-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
13 days @ 68-72
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

8.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 88.9 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %

1.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (45 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.5 IBU
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (45 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 13days) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (Dry Hop 13days) Hops

1 Pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I made this as my first simple big beer, and my first original recip. I wanted something a little different, so I chose williamette hops for their earthy grassy flavor, which seemed to overtake the others in terms of aroma and flavor, with a nice hint added by the centenial. Came out fairly dry, could have used another # of malt, but it is just about what I was shooting for. Makes your jaw clench just smelling it, I love this brew and have a feeling that it won't be hanging around too long. I'm gonna have to stash a few away in a hidden place for a few months down the road.

The "First Wort Hops" were added as the water was being heated to a boil after steeping the specialty grains. Carbed after 9 days at 70-72, drink this one fresh and it is true to its name. Tastes like the smell of the bag of williamette, leaves a fresh hop bitterness in your mouth, FOR HOPHEADS ONLY.

After a few weeks, this is one of the best beers I have ever had pass through these lips. Incredibly simple, incredibly tasty brew.

Does it have a citrusy taste or smell to it? I love the recipe but I would want to try a different variety of hops to get a citrusy aroma to it. Any suggestions?

The Hop Juice that's brewed by Two Brothers Brewery here in Chicago. Did you steal their recipe?

To get a citrusy aroma, sub out the willamette for cascade or amarillo.

No, this was the first recipe I ever made from scratch, I believe there are a few other hop juices as well.

you made this about a year ago when there was no hop shortage.... 7oz of hops... that's like 20 some dollars in hops!

cascade amarillo and simcoe(cascade on crack) are citrusy hops.

I like how all the hops add up to nice 2oz quantities. :D Easy to buy with no leftovers in the standard vacpacks at the LHBS.

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone is still checking out this thread. Just wondering the est. ABV, and wondering if this is truly an imperial...? I'm on my gf's computer, so I can't access beersmith for it's estimates at the moment. Otherwise... this beer sounds great. Been looking for a true hop bomb.

1.078-1.017 * 131 = 8% v/v.
IIPA is listed as a OG of 1070-1090 and an ibu range of 60-120, so I'd say definitely yes.

Brewed this one up at the end of January and I've gotta say: "Got Dam Son!" This is a mighty fine IIPA! :mug:

I subbed the centennial for Cascade and upped the DME to 9#.

Woo....can only enjoy a few at a time :drunk: but I'm lovin this one.

What's up with the "Aroma Hop-Steep" next to a couple of the hops? Are those supposed to be steeped for 10 minutes or tossed in with 10 minutes left in the boil?

Probably gonna brew this this weekend.

Hello, this is my very first post on homebrew talk! This saturday, a friend and I are going to brew our first batch of beer. We are both hopheads and this sounds like a perfect extract recipe for us. My question is about the times listed next to the hops, I'm a little unclear about what order and when the varieties go in. Any help would be appreciated. Is this too complicated of a recipe for a first timer? Thanks!

My question is about the times listed next to the hops, I'm a little unclear about what order and when the varieties go in. Any help would be appreciated. Is this too complicated of a recipe for a first timer? Thanks!

Not to complicated if you have a timer and pay attention to it. 60min additions go in after the hot break or after it starts to boil. All other additions count down from there, ie-10min addition is 50 minutes into the boil. if there's two 60 minute additions of different hops just chuck them in together.

I have to warn anyone brewing this beer. My entire house smelled like a hop garden for about 3 days after brewing this. Needless to say its fermenting nicely now. :cross:

I tried using this recipe as a base for my own IPA.

The differences being I used different hops and 9lbs LME and 1lb DME

For some reason my OG read at about 1.121!

Fortunately I made a 1L starter but I'm not sure if that was enough. After 3 days of heavy bubbling it stopped. I checked the gravity and it was down to 1.032 and it looks like it's staying there (I've checked several days in a row)

I'm new to this (only my 3rd time brewing) but I believe it's getting close to 12% ABV.

Does this mean by yeast is "drunk"?
Should I repitch with a different type of yeast?

I actually also got some help on this problem in another thread.
The general consensus is that I didn't mix the wort in with the water well enough and that the actual OG should have been around 1.074 (which I was aiming for).

That doesn't change the fact that the gravity has now remained at 1.032 for 3 days. What would you guys recommend for getting it down below 1.020?
Should I repitch some California Ale Yeast with another starter?

how many days in Primary? if its been 10 days then its done ... if it taste good then the FG doesn't matter. But if you really wanna try to push a couple points you can pitch some lager yeast.

I am planning on brewing this next weekend. I can't wait. I am kind of wondering about that 10 minute addition. Does any one know why it says "steep" or a hop addition at the 10 min mark? I get the pre-boil hop addition one but something put in at the 10 min mark has me perplexed.

I am planning on making a 1000mL starter for this one.

thanks,

I tried this recipe a while ago and had a question. Here are some of the details.

Brewed on 7/30. ~1.065 gravity reading (adjusted to about 80 deg). I did have a problem in the primary that I didn't appear to have secured the lid so very little action for 2-3 days. Once I re-secured it,things took off vigorously.

I let it go in the primary for 7 days and then had an out of town trip for five days so I let it go while I was gone. When I got back on 8/15 activity had stopped. I racked over to the secondary 8/16 with a reading of 1.012 (at about 72 deg). Also did the dry hopping at this point.

It has been there since then with not activity appearing in the airlock.

So, not sure if this is normal (read a few posts that state that no visible activity isn't the end of the world). Looking for some guidance.

If it makes any difference, I will be kegging.

Thanks,
Dave

I love the way this one sounds, im brewing it up right now! I got a friend who is gonna flip over this one. THANKS

I'm at nine days in primary and only reading about four and a half percent ABV. There's still some activity, so I'm going to let it go a few more days and check my gravity nightly. I've got a feeling I won't get too much more though. I'm guessing I didn't oxygenate well enough before pitching my yeast. I dumped my last batch (different recipe) after carbonating because it got fouled somewhere, so it's hard not to be stressed about this one.

Brewing this one tomorrow. I didn't have a chance to stop by my LHBS before today so I don't have enough time for a starter so I'll just pitch it as is. Since dry extract is more expensive I picked up 10 pounds of light LME. My LHBS was out of Warrior so I substituted Nugget. Also, since I enjoy a more citrus flavor and aroma I substituted the Williamette with Cascade. The alpha acid percentages are the same so I kept the amounts the same. The Nugget's alpha acid is a little lower than the Warrior so I grabbed 1.2 ounces for every 1.0 ounce the recipe called for. The alpha acid for the Chinook that the store had was a little less than what the recipe had posted so I picked up 1.2 for 1.0 of that hop variety as well. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

I know I changed the recipe a little bit but I just took the first gravity reading. It read 1.037. That seems really low compared to the 1.078 that was quoted in the original recipe. What do you guys think?

Checked this one today. I'm having a difficult time keeping the temperature down. It sits right at 72. There are no fruity aromas so I think it should be alright. The fermentation is really active. The krausen busted the lid off the airlock and it was foaming out the top. Smells incredible. I can't wait to drink this one.

Latest posts

Back