Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Mr Malty wants a 3.5L starter

Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
enohcs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 10 Posts

Default Mr Malty wants a 3.5L starter

What's your procedure for getting such a large volume of starter?
I did a calculation for a future lager I hope to do and it's calling for over 4L in starter.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts

I did a lager that required a 4L starter. I found it easier to just make two 2L starters with 1 vial in each. My main reason was that I didn't have a vessel large enough for the 4L starter. You could do that or start with a 2L starter and ferment. Then decant and add 2L of fresh wort to build up your cell count.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enohcs View Post
Procedure? Simple - find a different solution.

The calculator uses variables, and each variable changes starter volume. More than one vial, a stir plate, and fresher yeast would all bring the starter volume down to a more reasonable size.

4L is not a normal starter; it is more like a batch of beer. It is simply the result of plugging in many unfavorable variables.

I say look into a stir plate, because it dramatically reduces the volume of wort as well as the number of vials required for an appropriate cell count.

If $75 for the stir plate is too big a nut to crack, opt for a second (or third) vial, but in that case, the stir plate would have paid for itself in about a year of brewing.

Joe

Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
cyraxx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler1 View Post

The calculator uses variables, and each variable changes starter volume. More than one vial, a stir plate, and fresher yeast would all bring the starter volume down to a more reasonable size.

4L is not a normal starter; it is more like a batch of beer. It is simply the result of plugging in many unfavorable variables.

I say look into a stir plate, because it dramatically reduces the volume of wort as well as the number of vials required for an appropriate cell count.

If $75 for the stir plate is too big a nut to crack, opt for a second (or third) vial, but in that case, the stir plate would have paid for itself in about a year of brewing.

Joe
One of these (http://stirstarters.com/) could be an option, as they're only $42. I'm looking to get one within the coming months when I start brewing bigger batches.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Stirstarter looks like a very good option. I think mine was about $65 from BMW, but they seem to be carrying a different model now, and it is quite a bit more money.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #6
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

A few ideas for you:

Homebrewing.org had a stirplate for $40 last I checked. I got mine second hand from the property disposition at the nearby university for $25 and its better than any $100 plate i've seen.

Also, some cheap wine comes in a 1 gallon glass jug that would be able to fit 3.5L with room to spare. Cheap and easy large, much more than flask that size.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by enohcs View Post
I did a calculation for a future lager I hope to do and it's calling for over 4L in starter.
Make a 2 liter starter, refrigerate it, decant (pour off) most of the liquid, leaving the Yeast slurry at the bottom, add in another 2 liters, plus DME (another 2 liter starter mix) and in 18 hours you have your 4 liter starter, in 2 liters of liquid.

Its a 2 stage starter.
Its covered in some threads here and elsewhere.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #8
hypergolic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a stirstarter and it works great, lifetime guarantee also.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 AM   #9
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyraxx View Post
One of these (http://stirstarters.com/) could be an option, as they're only $42. I'm looking to get one within the coming months when I start brewing bigger batches.
Could also make one for cheap. Some good ideas here.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show...-plate-228400/

I made mine without spending a dime.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
sjbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler1

Joe
I believe that even with a stir plate, a 4 L starter is pretty typical for a lager if only one vial/smack pack is used. If you use two vials then it can be reduced to 2 L with a stir plate. This is what I did for my recent lager.