keg wont carb - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > keg wont carb

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
BeantownR6
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Redondo Beach
Posts: 336
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts



i force carb kegs all the time - 30 psi for 36-48 hours.

so i took 2 kegs and hooked up to the same c02 same time. put to 30 psi for 48 hrs. keg#1 carbed fine and keg #2 didn't, just slight carbonation. so i lubed the seal around the opening and the release valve. set for another 24 hrs and no change in carbonation. any ideas? not sure where i could be leaking c02 from but i never have this problem.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
beaksnbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 2,844
Liked 505 Times on 334 Posts


Try hooking just that one up spray soap/water on seals look for bubbles

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
BeantownR6
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Redondo Beach
Posts: 336
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Can the poppets leak?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
lumpher
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
texas
Posts: 5,064
Liked 265 Times on 226 Posts


yes, they can. they even sell replacement poppets because they leak or get stuck
__________________
There is no "i" in denial.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
BeantownR6
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Redondo Beach
Posts: 336
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


ive never taken them off, can i do it without ruining the beer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #6
Gritsak
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Posts: 602
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts


If you have the disconnects attached to the posts then they are depressing the poppets. Point being, the poppets only seal when there is no disconnect attached.

With that said, i had the same problem that i tracked down to being an issue with a poppet. If the gas poppet is stuck or jammed it might not allow the CO2 to enter the keg properly (and the beer won't carbonate).

Here's a site i found really quick with pics for disassembling a corny: http://cruisenews.net/brewing/kegging/index.php

I'd take the posts off, if you have the poppets that can be removed they will just fall out when you push down on them. Inspect for rips on the rubber seal, etc. and replace the entire poppet necessary (rubber seal is part of the valve, it can't be replaced separately). If all is good, soak everything in oxyclean, rinse and reassemble with food grade lubricant.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Judge
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
San Antonio, TX
Posts: 45
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownR6 View Post
i force carb kegs all the time - 30 psi for 36-48 hours.

so i took 2 kegs and hooked up to the same c02 same time. put to 30 psi for 48 hrs. keg#1 carbed fine and keg #2 didn't, just slight carbonation. so i lubed the seal around the opening and the release valve. set for another 24 hrs and no change in carbonation. any ideas? not sure where i could be leaking c02 from but i never have this problem.
I've had this happen occasionally. I fiddle with it for a few days and can't find any leaks anywhere. I have no explanation other than some beers take longer to carb than others

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
BeantownR6
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Redondo Beach
Posts: 336
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


i just took the C02 poppet out, change the seal, lubed it all up and set it to 30 psi. i will check back tomorow. i didn't want to pull out the dip tube. but i did spray the C02 poppet and it bubbled when disconnected.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
beaksnbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 2,844
Liked 505 Times on 334 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownR6 View Post
i just took the C02 poppet out, change the seal, lubed it all up and set it to 30 psi. i will check back tomorow. i didn't want to pull out the dip tube. but i did spray the C02 poppet and it bubbled when disconnected.
Bubbles are a sure sign of a leak when sealed and disconnected nothing should bubble check poppet might just need cleaning most people don't regularly take posts apart to clean Balllock use a 7/8 boxend wrench

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #10
lumpher
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
texas
Posts: 5,064
Liked 265 Times on 226 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Bubbles are a sure sign of a leak when sealed and disconnected nothing should bubble check poppet might just need cleaning most people don't regularly take posts apart to clean Balllock use a 7/8 boxend wrench
i agree, even if it did make me feel drunk reading that with no punctuation. my eyes started swirling near the end
__________________
There is no "i" in denial.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How about a vote: force carb or natural carb in keg jaginger Bottling/Kegging 14 07-03-2012 04:07 AM
force carb vs. natural carb BrewDey Bottling/Kegging 17 01-10-2011 02:57 AM
Kegging, natural carb or artifical carb? billc68 Bottling/Kegging 9 05-17-2010 11:00 AM
Desired IPA carb level, muntons carb tabs and metric scaling twst1up Bottling/Kegging 5 11-10-2008 11:58 PM


Forum Jump