Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > I need your help

Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #11
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3019 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by churdbird View Post
A guy on CL near my has a UDS for sale for 130. I'm am more then able to make one but sourcing a barrel would be the hardest part. He says it was used previous as a edible food container. I don't know of anything that is edible that comes in a 55 gal drum.
And Dataz722, someone posted that you have a few accessories that makes building one easier? If so, what do ya have?
Just make sure that he has completely burned out the liner. There are actually tons of food products that come in drums but they all have a liner.

I do have some kits that I have put together. The are pretty much everything except the drum, a 22.5 cooking grate, and a thermometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
churdbird
Recipes 

Do you market these kits on a website somewhere?
Well went to HD and Menards looking just to see what they had. Nothing.. That I would spend money on anyway.
The Ugly Drum may just be for me!
Where is a good place to find a remote thermometer?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #13
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here's the thread where Data talks about the kits. He's not a vendor here, and I don't think he has anything setup to market them, because he just made these kits to help people get a UDS made simply. If he still has some kits, I think it's a very good deal.
for one more beer!

Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
laporte272
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought a UDS kit from Dataz722 for a UDS. I may be sending Data some business here shortly. The neighbors want me to build them a few. I LOVE the UDS. I found a barrel in an industrial area that was refurbished, liner burnt out, and cleaned up. I have made some awsome bbq/smoked meat (country ribs and awsome hot wings to be specific). The BGE is cool but super hevey and expensve. Go with the UDS and do good research on how to build one. IMHO. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #15
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3019 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Do you market these kits on a website somewhere?
Well went to HD and Menards looking just to see what they had. Nothing.. That I would spend money on anyway.
The Ugly Drum may just be for me!
Where is a good place to find a remote thermometer?
I don't really market them at all on here. I was building a few for me and a couple friends and realized I could save a ton of money by buy in bulk so I figured I could throw some kits together to help people out and save them some cash at the same time.

Personally, I do not like the remote thermos. I have tried 3 different ET-73's and had problems with all of them. People on bbq forums seem to love them though so maybe I have just had really bad luck. I have not tried the new ET-732 though which is supposed to be much improved.

If you want to give it a shot though personally I would support http://www.shop.5-0bbq.com/. They are just a small vendor that has really good customer service and I always like to support the small vendors when I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 06-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If you are looking for a smoker in your price range that is true, tried and tested and is even used successfully by competition Quers look no further than the Weber Smoky Mountain 18.5". It will regulate and hold temperatures with the best of them and help you produce a fine product. It's a no brainer.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 2

for the money, and ease of use, it's hard to be a propane smoker
http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/5217...ws/reviews.htm

You can't use the propane for compititions, so if you think you want to do that go for something else, but for something that you can set and forget it's hard to beat. A lot of the large briskets I do go for 15+ hours. I will start them in the evening so I can add wood for the smoke (after the meat reaches somewhere around 135-145 degrees you really don't take on much more smoke flavor), then at bedtime, I will load it up one more time, and head off to bed knowing that the temps will hold without a problem until the morning.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #18
churdbird
Recipes 

Going with the Weber Smokey Mountain. Thanks for all of your input.
Now where's the best place to buy one?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For the money, here's the one I'm looking at. Propane grill and charcoal smoker in one.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st..._-1?N=77985508
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Going with the Weber Smokey Mountain. Thanks for all of your input.
Now where's the best place to buy one?
You are making a very wise choice. We have used insulated smokers (Spicewine) and stick burners (Lang). In a competition we will attend in our hometown in August we will cook the contest with only WSM's to show our neighbors how inexpensively you can turn out competition quality Que with a simple Weber Smokey Mountain.

Spicewine Insulated Cooker

Lang Stick Burner