What has happened to men? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > What has happened to men?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Great_Neck_Brewer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Great Neck, New York
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

George Carlin refered to it as" The Continued pussification of the American Male". and I think it is getting worse. I work in New York city or as I like to refer to it " freak central" and I swear men have started to carry purses! Not breif cases or computer bages, purses. I'm not homophobic, these are straight men.

There are certain skills I believe every man should know, Mechanics Illustrated listed 100 of them and I'll bet alot of these guys can't do 2.

Example) I have a tenant that asked if I could make the domestic water hotter. No problem "I'll walk you through it over the phone". Not possible, he coudn't find the red dial on the gas valve. So I had to drive 32 miles, pay $12 in tolls to turn a dail a qaurtet turn to the left. While I was there he asked me to change a light bulb. A FRIGGIN LIGHT BULB! Was not embarssed in the least while his wife looked on.

I used to do a lot of service work and was amazed at what people would have me do. Changing light bulbs were in the top 25%. No need for a long ladder, just a light bulb change standing on a step stool. All because their father didn't take the time to show them basic skills.

I remember going into an apartment to do a renovation for some Japanese girls who were going to school nearby. While I was there, I noticed they had a respectably stocked tool box and a Dewalt drill. When I asked about it they told me their father had given it to them and taught them how to repair certain things that might go wrong in an apartment. Amazing.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Chandler, Arizona
Liked 90 Times on 84 Posts

I cook the meals, watch the kids, change diapers and buy all the groceries. As for all that other stuff, isn't that what wives are for?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
mcaple1
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Falcon, CO
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Wow...I think this is an extreme example. I have yet to hang out with any guy that doesn't perform his own car maintenance (rebuild tranny, change oil, change brake pads etc) and do ALL of their own home maintenance, to include building our own basements. I guess you need to move out of the city man.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8031 Times on 5610 Posts

I don't know any "metro" kind of guys. Even though some guys I know (like Bob) aren't real mechanically inclined, they can do some basic easy repairs.

I wish I would have paid attention to my dad fixing stuff when I was a kid. I'm trying to learn now. I have a mechanical mind, and I enjoy fixing things, but I don't know the basic skills. In the last couple of weeks, I've had a friend teach me how to change a faucet, repair a leaky faucet, do some easy copper soldering, basic wiring (re-wiring a lamp), etc.

Last weekend I fixed a guy friend's vacuum cleaner and a piece of farm machinery (a pull-behind disc) on the same day.

(PS- I can do everything on that "men's list! I am a former paramedic, former military, current grandmother)

Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

I don't see how you connect men carrying purses with another person's inability to change a light bulb. Unless, of course your woefully inadequate tenant is a flagrant purse carrier. More likely though, he is just of the mind that it's your property and wants you to be the one to do the maintenance. I've been a landlord a few times. Some tenants can be real dicks.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
mcaple1
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Falcon, CO
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Here's the link.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/4281414

Check out number 17....at least we got that covered!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
bengerman
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Redmond, Washington
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

i agree that you need to get out of the city. i live int a small house with awesome landlords, but i still do most of the work around the house (voluntarily) fixing the fence, plumbing, painting, etc. most guys i know aren't arfaid to get their hands dirty on their cars, i've never paid to have any work done on my car. ive done everything from installing an alarm to changing the clutch. and i'm passing these kinds of skills on to my 6 year old neice. she taught herself how to take the training wheels off her bike, so i've been teaching her abouttools and walking her through any repairs that need to be done on it.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Beezy
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

I just sanded a floor for a customer. The woman of the house installed it! WTF is going on here? I would let my wife near a saw or nailer. Pittsburgh is probably not that bad tho. I haven't seen man purses. Men still wear mustaches around here ffs.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Beezy
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
I cook the meals, watch the kids, change diapers and buy all the groceries. As for all that other stuff, isn't that what wives are for?
Poolside blowjobs? Exactly. Yeah I do the cooking too. I am terrible at watching the kids even though I do it.

I have to come clean. I don't work on the car too much. I have done a lot of work on cars but I hate it. Would rather pay someone to do it. We have a good mechanic that doesn't overcharge. Hell with it.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
bruin_ale

Recipes 

May 2009
Campbell, CA
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
I have to come clean. I don't work on the car too much. I have done a lot of work on cars but I hate it. Would rather pay someone to do it. We have a good mechanic that doesn't overcharge. Hell with it.
I'm in the same boat.. I can do the work, I've done more than my share of automotive jobs - but my time is worth more most days. I've done clutches, replace struts and springs, replace alternator, and rebuilt my KTM (new top end, didn't do any of the machining - but I pulled it apart, sent the parts in and put it back together). The moto I enjoyed since it didn't matter when I finished it so I could take my time.
I can do most of the things on that list, except welding.. never owned a welder - would definitely be a good skill to have though. I think "snake a drain" should be on that list, I've probably saved hundreds of dollars in plumber fees with that skill.