Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > 3/8 Soft Copper for Pick Up Tube?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
lee_smn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3/8 Soft Copper for Pick Up Tube?

I have some soft copper tubing left from my brew stand project and was thinking of using it for a pick up tube. I don't want to use hard metal because i want to bend it to the side like bargainfittings whirlpool tube. Anyone see any problems with this?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Moonpile

Recipes 

I had some 3/8" as well and wanted to do the same thing, but couldn't find a sweat to 1/2" NPT fitting that would make the adaptation in one step. I ended up using 1/2" Type L with a 1/2" sweat to 1/2" Male NPT.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In my previous keggle I made a pickup tube from 1/2" soft copper and attached it with a flare fitting so I could remove it for the occasional deep clean. You should be able to find a 1/2 mpt x 3/8 flare at HomeDepot or Lowes.
The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 261

I do. I used the 1/2 mpt x 3/8 flare/compression fitting (are they the same thing?) that Trigger mentioned. Works fine.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
lee_smn
Recipes 

thanks for the input guys.

Bill a flare fitting is a type of compression fitting but when people say compression fitting it is usually the kind that doesn't need screwed on.

I know I can connect it, it will be the exact fittings I used to connect my copper to the black pipe. My worry is about the actual soft copper, is it okay to use as a pick up tube in my bk and is 3/8 big enough?

thanks again, happy memorial day.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The soft copper is fine to use in your BK. 3/8" OD will work, but 1/2" OD will work better. How much better is somewhat dependent on how the rest of the system is set up. ie, pump or no pump, recirculation chilling or not etc.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
lee_smn
Recipes 

thanks cat, so since I have it, at the very least it won't hurt to give it a try?

i'm all gravity fed, I will prob use my ic, and recirculation will be done in my mash tun only.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_smn View Post
thanks cat, so since I have it, at the very least it won't hurt to give it a try?

i'm all gravity fed, I will prob use my ic, and recirculation will be done in my mash tun only.
Yes, absolutely give it a try. I don't think you will have any problems, but you will need to use hop bags or a paint strainer thing. One hop leaf can clog a small tube in a heartbeat, or any other gunk for that matter.